Talk:Tripod (photography)

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
WikiProject Film (Rated Start-class)
WikiProject icon This article is within the scope of WikiProject Film. If you would like to participate, please visit the project page, where you can join the discussion and see lists of open tasks and regional and topical task forces. To use this banner, please refer to the documentation. To improve this article, please refer to the guidelines.
Start-Class article Start  This article has been rated as Start-Class on the project's quality scale.
Taskforce icon
This article is supported by the Filmmaking task force.

Mounting bolt[edit]

Do all tripods mount to cameras the same way? It seems like they all have a 6mm bolt, but there can't be just one standard, can there? Anybody know anything about this?

  • It's probably mentioned in some standards document somewhere (I'd guess maybe the SMPTE, MPAA or some industry body like that). I don't know for certain. I'm inclined to think larger cameras probably use a different mount though, custom-designed to hold the weight of the camera perhaps. (I'd shudder to think of a 6mm bolt trying to hold a full-sized TV or film camera.) Haikupoet 04:50, 30 November 2005 (UTC)
  • I'd be pretty sure its not 6mm. The most common camera mount is usually quoted as 1/4 inch, but of course the pitch of the thread is also important and this is normally 20 turns per inch. However there also seems to be an alternative standard which is 3/8"-16 (0.375 inch in diameter and 16 turns per inch along its length). I suspect the larger screw mount is popular for large format cameras and more expensive tripods often come with an adaptor to fit both standards. -- Solipsist 06:12, 30 November 2005 (UTC)
  • The standard is 1/4-20, but I think technically it may be Whitworth rather than UNC. In any case, a standard American 1/4-20 bolt from the hardware store will fit (a fact that can come in handy if you don't have a tripod with you and need to improvise a camera support). Most tripod heads mount to the tripod with a 3/8-16 thread, but come with an adapter to fit 1/4-20 as well. Larger cameras also use 3/8-16 threads. BTW the page doesn't mention quick-release plates, which are another method of mounting the camera to the tripod. Rbean 19:08, 5 April 2006 (UTC)
  • ENG style cameras usually mount to the tripod with a camera plate, because the shoulder pad is too curved and is directly in the middle of where a threaded hole would be used. The plate attaches to the tripod with a sliding plate that is locked in with a set screw. The plate attaches to places on the camera in front of and behind the shoulder pad. Indeed, larger cameras need larger tripods, and the mounting screws are no exception. Miller tripods ( have 3/8" and 1/4" mounting screws. Edinc90 16:36, 30 April 2007 (UTC)

The thread standard is spelled out in ISO 1220:2010 - it's definately 1/4-20 UNC (or 3/8-16 for big ones) , and is BASICALLY a 'class 1' fit (sight changes to pitch and major diameters) - can give you a link where to BUY the spec, but the ISO won't let people who buy the spec put it online (copyright reasons. It even goes on to talk about the max length of said bolt — Preceding unsigned comment added by (talk) 00:30, 12 September 2011 (UTC)

To correct the previous poster, who doesn't appear to have done any research on the matter, apart from google... There is no such ISO standard as 1220:2010 ( There is, on the other hand, a Japanese Standard JIS B 1220:2010 ( — Preceding unsigned comment added by (talk) 11:54, 28 May 2012 (UTC)

ISO 1222:2010 Photography -- Tripod connections — Preceding unsigned comment added by (talk) 12:10, 9 August 2012 (UTC)

The article refers to a change in standard from Whitworth to UNC (search for the word 'historically' to find it). It would be useful to know when this change happened (ie is it so long ago that any equipment I inherited from my dad is likely to be UNC, or not); I realise that there will not be a sharp change, but some indication of when UNC was introduced and when Whitworth stopped being sold would be good). FreeFlow99 (talk) 12:24, 13 February 2016 (UTC)

Tabletop tripods[edit]

I edited the description of tabletop tripods to include heavier (and more expensive) professional models-- certainly professionals tend not to use the cheap/flimsy ones mentioned in the earlier article, but they do use the heavier ones. The webpage referenced is mine (the tabletop tripod rated for 25Kg is the Novoflex "Basicball", which is admittedly an extreme example). Rbean 19:08, 5 April 2006 (UTC)

  • Should a section on Hi-hats be included? Should hi-hats be mentioned in the tabletop tripod section? Should hi-hat have a disambiguation page (as it now only lists the cymbal hi-hat)? edinc90 16:41, 30 April, 2007

Ballhead vs Panhead[edit]

It seems to me there should be some mention of ballheads vs pan heads. Rbean 19:08, 5 April 2006 (UTC)

I added a section for that, and I also added information about the head types into the image captions - the tabletop tripod has a ball style head and the larger tripod has a panhead type. I also moved the panhead image down to the head types section for ease of calrification. I'm new, please don't shoot if I did it wrong! Tiberius47 10:37, 15 November 2006 (UTC)

Precision in wording[edit]

"They are necessary when slow-speed exposures are being made, or when zoom lenses are used. Any camera movement while the shutter is open will produce a blurred image."

Neither of these statements is true. A bit more precision in this article might be helpful.

In the first place, there are plenty of situations where a zoom lens can be used at a fast enough shutter speed to make the use of a tripod unnecessary. There are also situations (i.e. panning) where slow shutter speeds are used in combination with intentional camera movement.

In the second place, it is not true that any camera movement will produce a blurred image. It is a question of how much movement is acceptable for any particular purpose. A tripod doesn't completely prevent camera motion - the camera still gets moved a tiny bit by air movements and vibration from the ground - but it does decrease the extent of the movement and hence the number of circumstances in which an unblurred image can be produced.

--Ilnyckyj (talk) 21:54, 3 December 2008 (UTC)


I think this page should be moved to something like Photography mount. The sections would be:

  • monopod
  • bipod (some actually do exsist)
  • tripod

As for the removed language links, i removed them because they seemed to link to equivalent tripod articles rather than tripod (photography) articles.username 1 (talk) 14:02, 28 August 2009 (UTC)

I do not agree with such an idea. Firstly, you have not suggested why a name change is even needed. And secondly the current name is fine, for what is describe in the article. The main subject of the article, is tripods used for photography. So "Tripod" with a disambiguation of "(photography)" is effective. Besides there is already a monopod article. And while bipods are also available, there is an article for that too, which does mention them being used with photographic equipment.
I also do not agree with the removal of the language links, because they do link to articles that are relative to photography tripods. Nebrot (talk) 14:20, 28 August 2009 (UTC)


Quick release shoe I have come across the Jessops and Manfrotto. Can't see them covered anywhere. -- Clem Rutter (talk) 19:28, 6 February 2014 (UTC)

text rescued from Screw threads article[edit]

The screw threads had the following text but it did not belong in that article, perhaps this text can find a home in this one:

* Camera case screws, used to mount a camera on a photographic tripod:
** ¼″ UNC[1] used on almost all small cameras
** ⅜″ UNC for larger (and some older small) cameras
(many older cameras use ¼" BSW or ⅜" BSW threads, which in low stress applications, and if machined to  wide tolerances, are for practical purposes compatible with the UNC threads)

Sincerely, AadaamS (talk) 20:37, 8 June 2016 (UTC)

  1. ^ ISO 1222:2010 Photography -- Tripod connections