Talk:Wall plug

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
WikiProject Home Living (Rated Start-class, Mid-importance)
WikiProject icon This article is within the scope of WikiProject Home Living, a collaborative effort to improve the coverage of Home on Wikipedia. If you would like to participate, please visit the project page, where you can join the discussion and see a list of open tasks.
Start-Class article Start  This article has been rated as Start-Class on the quality scale.
 Mid  This article has been rated as Mid-importance on the importance scale.

Molly Bolt[edit]

Is this similar to what is called a "Molly Bolt" in the U.S.?


and Lent 07:53, 26 January 2007 (UTC)

Similar, yeah--not the same thing, though, since a Rawlplug needs to work with thick masonry. Anyone know the German? My neighbour used something like ‘Duwel’ to refer to them when I borrowed a drill yesterday, but I can't find that online, and there’s no ‘other languages’ link on this page. 09:40, 4 February 2007 (UTC)
Ok, it appears to be ‚der Dübel‘, or more exactly ‚der Schraubendübel.“ 12:59, 4 February 2007 (UTC) (talk) 12:58, 5 October 2009 (UTC) your neighbour probably meant dowel as in a piece of dowelling wood people use a piece of dowel to serve as a wall plug on occasion

US dowel usage[edit]

I'm dubious that these anchors are known as "dowels" in the US. The AHD and the M-W do not support this usage, although the AHD is cited. Instead, the AHD suggests a wooden dowel can be used as an anchor for a nail, which was probably true at one time, but seems highly unlikely in the modern world. But this article is discussing anchors for screws, not for nails. It would be my intention to remove the dowel claim absent some support. Can anyone support this usage? It also seems to me odd that the terms "lead anchor" and "expansion anchor" appear in the article but not in the lede (also "plastic anchor"). jhawkinson (talk) 22:19, 10 June 2017 (UTC)

I agree. Just look at Home Depot, they have pictures of boxes there. Every one has "anchor" on it, not a single "dowel". (talk) 12:53, 30 June 2017 (UTC)

UK English[edit]

I live in the UK, and I've never known anyone say or write "wall plug". If I did, I'd assume (as mentioned in the footnote) that they meant a wall socket. If I heard someone say "wall plug" for the device described in the article, I'd guess they were non-rhotic and saying "rawlplug". Maproom (talk) 20:09, 16 July 2017 (UTC)

So what do you call them ? Andy Dingley (talk) 22:11, 16 July 2017 (UTC)