Tara Jane O'Neil
||This article includes a list of references, but its sources remain unclear because it has insufficient inline citations. (September 2010)|
|Tara Jane O'Neil|
TJO at Tonic in New York City, 6 October 2006
|Born||November 22, 1972|
|Origin||Chicago, Illinois, United States|
|Occupation(s)||Musician, visual artist|
|Instruments||Vocals, guitar, bass guitar, banjo, tambourine, keyboard|
|Associated acts||Rodan, Drinking Woman, Retsin, The Sonora Pine, The King Cobra, The Naysayer, Sebadoh|
Tara Jane O'Neil (born November 22, 1972) (last name sometimes spelled "ONeil", sometimes known as TJO) is an American multi-instrumentalist, songwriter, audio recording engineer, and visual artist based out of Portland, Oregon.
O'Neil has collaborated with a diverse community of friends and advisers, scoring theatre productions and short films, playing improvised shows, and working with dancers and painters. Her previous bands include Rodan, Retsin (with Cynthia Nelson), The Sonora Pine, The King Cobra, and Drinking Woman. She has played live and on recordings with Mount Eerie, The Naysayer, Come, Mirah, Ida, Sebadoh, Jackie-O Motherfucker, K., Michael Hurley, Papa M, and Amy Ray.
Solo she has released several albums as Tara Jane O'Neil, formed the Ecstatic Tambourine Orchestra, and crafted soundtracks for film and theater.
O'Neil is also a notable visual artist. Her work has been exhibited in New York City, Barcelona, Tokyo, Kyoto, Louisville, and Portland, among other places. Her artwork has appeared on her solo record covers, on the record covers of many others (Retsin, Ida, The Naysayer, Castanets), in poetry books by Cynthia Nelson (Raven Days and The Kentucky Rules) and Maggie Nelson (cover of Something Bright, Then Holes), in the magazines Punk Planet, Magnet, The Wire, Venus Zine, Copper Press, and various international publications. Who Takes A Feather, a book of her drawings and paintings, was published in 2004 by Map Press out of Tokyo. In 2007, Wings. Strings. Meridians. A Blighted Bestiary was published by Yeti, including an album of live recordings, 4-track demos, and out-takes.
She starred in the 1994 indie film Half-Cocked as herself.
- Peregrine (2000, Quarterstick Records)
- In The Sun Lines (2001, Quarterstick Records)
- TJO TKO (2002, Mr. Lady Records)
- You Sound, Reflect (2004, Quarterstick Records)
- In Circles (2006, Quarterstick Records)
- A Ways Away (2009, K Records)
- Where Shine New Lights (2014, Kranky Records)
- The Joy Of... (2002, Acuarela Discos [Spain])
- Who Takes A Feather companion release 3" CD-EP (2003, Map Press [Japan])
- Vanishing Point original score for Naomi Izuka's play At The Vanishing Point (2004, self-released digital download)
- Tracer (2005, Compass Tone [Japan])
- A Raveling (2005, Acuarela Discos [Spain])
- After A Dark Seven (2006, self-released CD-R)
- Light Up Screen collection of short film scores (2006, self-released digital download)
- Live & Covered European tour EP (2008, self-released CD-R)
- Tie A Ribbon / Another Sunday Saint / If Your Youth Is Green (aka Troubleman Solo Singles Series #6) 7" single (2000, Troubleman Unlimited Records)
- April 3, 2009 live adaptation of the song The Drowning Electric (2009, self-released digital download)
- Bones (2004, Preservation [Australia]) (compilation of demos, alternate versions, out-takes, and songs from singles)
- Marrow (2004, self-released CD-R) (most songs also on Bones, hand-painted and numbered covers)
- To Trace A Raveling EP (2006, Mississippi Records) (12" vinyl release combining Tracer and A Raveling EPs)
- Wings. Strings. Meridians. companion release CD (2007, Yeti Publications) (compilation of home recordings, live tracks, and film scores)
- Tara Jane O'Neil and Daniel Littleton: Music For A Meteor Shower (2002, Tiger Style Records)
- Tara Jane O'Neil and Nikaido Kazumi Tara Jane O'Neil and Nikaido Kazumi (2011, K Records)
- [dead link]
- "Galatea Resurrects #9 (A Poetry Engagement): PUBLICATIONS by MAGGIE NELSON and Edited by JULIET COOK". Galatearesurrection9.blogspot.com. 2008-03-31. Retrieved 2014-03-01.
- Official website
- Tara Jane O'Neil on Myspace
- K Records artist page
- Amazon.com list of records
- Emusic discography
- 3hive.com web info
- Tara Jane O'Neil on allmusic
- eMusic Q&A: Tara Jane O'Neil
- 96 Gillespie's Tara Jane O'Neil bio
- Would You Believe It? Tara Jane O'Neil Covers Cher