|Born||İsmail Tayfun UZBAY
12 June 1959
İsmail Tayfun UZBAY was born in 1959 in Ünye, Ordu. He graduated from Ünye Highschool and received his bachelor's degree in the Faculty of Pharmacy from Istanbul University in 1982. He completed his doctorate in 1992 at Gülhane Military Medical Faculty (GATA) in the field of Medical Pharmacology. He received the title of Associate Professorship in 1995. He worked in the field of Pharmacology in the Institute of Medical Sciences in Northern Texas University with scolarships from both TÜBİTAK and Northern Texas University. In 1999, he won a scholarship and worked as a research assistant in the department of Toxicology in the Faculty of Pharmaceutics in Cagliari University in Italy. He received the title of Professorship in 2003. Between the years 2003 and 2011, he worked as the Head of the Department of Medical Pharmacology in GATA. From 2011 until 2013, he worked as a member of High Science Council in GATA. He willingly retired from the Turkish Armed Forces in 2013. Today he is still working as the Head of the Departments of Molecular Biology and Genetics and Neuroscience in Üsküdar University; as well as the director of Neuropsychopharmacology Research and Application Center.
He served as a referee in the evaluation of 118 articles to be printed in 40 international journals which are listed in the SCI, and more than 150 projects that were presented to TÜBİTAK and TÜBA. He was a member of TÜBİTAK Ulakbim Turkish Medical Index Board between 2003 and 2012; and Ministry of Health Treatment for Substance Dependence Science Committee from 2004 until 2012. He has been a member of Turkish Pharmacists' Association Pharmacy Academy Science Committee since the year of 2007.
Prof. Dr. Uzbay, who resumes his studies in the field of neuropsychopharmacology, has seven books in Turkish and one book in English. 28 chapters of his books were published in both international (3) and national (25) journals. Also 96 scientific articles have been published in journals included in the SCI. More than 1800 references have been made to his publications. His H index is 21. He has received the Roche Medical Research Prize (1994), Pharmacy Academy Science Prize (2005), Prof. Dr. Rasim Adasal Science Prize (2005), Popular Science Prize (2007), Brain Research Foundation Publication Promotion Prize (2008). Became first place in Unique Solutions Project Market and Contest (with the support of Ege University, Ege University Science and Technology Application and Research Center, TÜBİTAK and ELGİNKAN Foundation, 2009).And Best Scientist of Turkey Prize, (TAF NETWORK, Turkish Academic Fellowship), Yıldız Technical University (2015).
He patented three molecules which are candidate drugs to the generation of schizophrenia disorder, its diagnosis and treatment. His work in this field have been honoured by the Turkish Armed Forces by the New Inventions Strip Badge and the Headquarters Outstanding Service Award. Prof. Dr. Uzbay has worked on the subject of Alcohol and Substance Dependence and has significant publications in this field as well. He has participated voluntarily in more than 200 conferences which were organized directly by non-governmental organisations and were set in various schools, and published many articles, in order to raise awareness and to educate the society on the subject of substance abuse. Prof. Dr. Tayfun Uzbay speaks English, is married and the father of one child.
Administrateive Activities in Scientific Association and Instution
- (1999-2007) Gulhane Milistary Medical Academy, Membership of Local Ethical Committee.
- (2000-2001) TUBITAK (The Scientific and Technological Research Council of Turkey) - The Group of Health Sciences Research, Membership of Ethical Committee .
- (2003-2012) TUBITAK (The Scientific and Technological Research Council of Turkey) Member of Ulakbim Turkish Medical Index Committee ,
- (2004-2012) Health Ministry of Turkish Republic, Committee of Substance Dependence and Treatment Methods.
- (2007-2016) Turkish Pharmacist Association, Pharmaceutical Academy, Member of Scientific Board .
- (2016-) Turkish Pharmacist Association, Pharmaceutical Academy, President.
- (2009-2010) Health Ministry of Turkish Republic, Advice Committee for Clinical Drug Researh.
- (2014-) Uskudar University, Head of Local Ethical Committee for Experimental Studies on Laboratory Animals.
- (1994) Roche Psychiatry Science Award
- (2005) Academy of Pharmacy (Turkish Pharmacist Association) Science Award
- (2005) Turkish Social Psychiatry Association, Professor Rasim Adasal Science Award
- (2008) Popular Science Award, Health Science
- (2008) Brain Research Society Publication Award
- (2009) Specific solutions: Project Marketing and Awards (Ege Üniversity, EBİLTEM, TÜBİTAK and ELGİNKAN Foundation), First Degree
- (2015) The Best Scientists Award of Turkey (TAF NETWORK, Turkish Academic Fellowship)
- Uzbay, I.T., Kayir, H., Çelik, T., Yüksel, N. Acute and chronic tianeptine treatments attenuate ethanol withdrawal syndrome in rats. Progress in Neuropsychopharmacology & Biological Psychiatry, 30: 478-485, 2006.
- Uzbay, İ.T., Saglam, E., Kayir, H., Çelik, T., Beyazyürek, M. Effects of fluoxetine on ethanol withdrawal syndrome in rats. Journal of Psychiatric Research, 38: 445-450, 2004
- Uzbay, T.I., Kayir, H., Ceyhan, M. Effects of tianeptine on on-set time of pentylenetetrazole-induced seizures in mice: Possible role of adenosine A1 receptors. Neuropsychopharmacology, 32: 412-416, 2007
- Uzbay, I.T., Coskun, I., Kayir, H., Ozturk, N., Ozturk, Y. Extract of Hypericum perforatum blocks caffeine-induced locomotor activity in mice. Phytotherapy Research, 21: 415-419, 2007.
- Uzbay, I.T., Kose, A., Kayir, H., Ulusoy, G., Celik, T. Sex-related effects of agmatine on caffeine-induced locomotor activity in Swiss Webster mice. European Journal of Pharmacology, 630: 69-73, 2010.
- Uzbay, I.T., Kayir, H., Goktalay, G., Yildirim, M. Agmatine disrupts prepulse inhibition of acoustic startle reflex in rats. Journal of Psychopharmacology, 24: 923-929, 2010.
- Uzbay, T., Parlakpinar, H., Akdag, E., Celik, T., Yararbas, G., Ulusoy, G., Acet, A., Kose, A., Kayir, H. Chronic melatonin treatment reverses disruption of prepulse inhibition in pinealectomized and pinealectomized-plus-ovariectomized rats. Behavioral Brain Research, 239: 1-7, 2013.
- Uzbay, T., Goktalay, G., Kayir, H., Eker, S.S., Sarandol, A., Oral, S., Buyukuysal, L., Ulusoy, G., Kirli, S. Increased plasma agmatine levels in patients with schizophrenia. Journal of Psychiatric Research, 47: 1054-1060, 2013.
- Uzbay, T. The role of nitric oxide in development of ethanol dependence and withdrawal. Current Topics in Pharmacology, 12 (1): 19-29, 2008.
- Ergun, S., Demir, P., Uzbay, T., Severcan, F. Agomelatine strongly interacts with zwitterionic DPPC and charged DPPG membranes. Biochimica et Biophysica Acta – Biomembranes, 1838: 2798-2806, 2014.
- Goktalay, G., Kayir, H., Ulusoy, G.K., Uzbay, T. Social interaction of rats is related with baseline prepulse inhibition level. Neuroscience Letter, 582: 125-129, 2014.
- Yilmaz, İ., Yonguç, N., Tosun, S., Kayir H., Uzbay, T. Audiogenic seizures potentiate hippocampal neuronal loss in ethanol-dependent rats. Journal of Neurological Sciences, 31: 646-658, 2014.
- Kurt, A.H., Macit, E., Uzbay, T., Buyukafsar, K. Effects of ethanol withdrawal on the activity of Rho-kinase in rats brain. Bratislava Medical Journal, 116: 494-497, 2015.
- Uskur, T., Barlas, M.A., Akkan, A.G., Shahzadi, A., Uzbay, T. Dexmedetomidine induces conditioned place preference in rats: Involvement of opioid receptors. Behavioral Brain Research, 296: 163-168, 2016.
- Uzbay, I.T., A New Approach to Etiopathogenezis of Depression: Neuroplasticity (Editor) NOVA Publishers, New York, USA, 2011 (ISBN 978-1-61209-554-7).