Teagasc (Irish pronunciation: [ˈtʲəɡəsˠk], meaning "Instruction") is the semi-state authority in the Republic of Ireland responsible for research and development, training and advisory services in the agri-food sector.
The official title of the body is Teagasc - The Agriculture and Food Development Authority. In 1988 Teagasc succeeded An Foras Talúntais/The Agricultural Institute (AFT) which was responsible for agricultural research, and An Chomhairle Oiliúna Talmhaíochta/The Agricultural Training Council (ACOT) which was responsible for education and advisory services.
Teagasc Colleges and Research Centres
The authority has a number of county advisory centres, colleges and research centres in which it carries out its main business. The Teagasc headquarters are located in the Oak Park Estate in Carlow.
Teagasc Agricultural/Horticultural Colleges
- Clonakilty Agricultural College
- Kildalton Agricultural and Horticultural College https://www.teagasc.ie/education/teagasc-colleges/kildalton/
- Ballyhaise Agricultural College
- College of Amenity Horticulture located at the Botanic Gardens, Glasnevin, Dublin.
- Teagasc eCollege
Private Agricultural/Horticultural Colleges
- Gurteen Agricultural College
- Mountbellew Agricultural College
- Warrenstown Horticultural College (closed in 2009)
- Pallaskenry Agricultural College
Food Research Centres
- Moorepark Food Research Centre, Fermoy, Co Cork. (functional foods, dairy, food ingredients and formulated foods and beverages)
- Ashtown Food Research Centre (food product innovation, quality and safety, meat science, bioactives, nutraceuticals,bakery technology,seafood innovation, Horticulture including plant diagnostics and Forestry).
Agricultural Research Centres
- Animal Bioscience Research Centre (efficiency of production of high quality meat and milk)
- Athenry Production Research Centre (Sheep Production, Animal Reproduction, Organic Milk, Beef and Sheep Production.)
- Grange Research Centre (Beef)
- Johnstown Research Centre (soil, environment and organic farming)
- Kinsealy Research Centre(now closed with facilities relocated to Ashtown in 2012, Dublin 15)
- Moorepark Research Centre (dairy and pigs)
- Oak Park Research Centre (arable crop)
- Rural Economy Research Centre (social science research and policy)
- Hogan, Dick. Test tubes in dump traced to farm centre Irish Times, 17 January 1995