|Relatives||Elizabeth McCracken (sister)|
Harry McCracken is technology editor for Fast Company and the founder of Technologizer, a website about personal technology. He was an editor at large for Time, covering technology, from February 2012 to June 2014. McCracken is also a former contributing editor at CNET.
On May 1, 2007, McCracken, resigned abruptly under controversial circumstances. McCracken quit abruptly because the new CEO of PC World, Colin Crawford, tried to stop an unfavorable story about Apple Inc. and Steve Jobs. Crawford responded, calling media reports of McCracken's resignation "inaccurate." McCracken told colleagues that IDG "was pressuring him to avoid stories that were critical of major advertisers." On May 9, 2007, Crawford was transferred to another department and McCracken returned to PC World.
In addition to his computer magazine work, McCracken has also been active in animation fandom, as a central mailer for Apatoons, and editor of Animato! magazine. He was also co-moderator of the BIX Animation Forum, with the late Emru Townsend. He is also the webmaster of the Scrappyland website, devoted to the Charles Mintz cartoon character Scrappy. He has also contributed to Slate.
McCracken has won a number of awards for his editorial work. He received the American Business Media Timothy White Award for Editorial Integrity in 2008, recognizing his resignation on principle in 2007. That same year he also won Best Editorial Column recognition from ABM and was listed on Folio: Magazine's list of 40 media influencers.
- "CNET Taps Distinguished Technology Journalist Harry McCracken As Contributing Editor".
- "CSW.org". issuu.com.
- "An Urelentingly Active Mind". bu.edu.
- Zetter, Kim (May 2, 2007). "PC World Editor Quits Over Apple Story". Wired.
- "PC World editor quits during dispute over Apple story". AppleInsider.com. May 3, 2007. Retrieved March 20, 2015.
- Krazit, Tom (May 2, 2007). "PC World editor resigns over apparent ad pressure". CNET.
- "Editor quits after PC Mag kills Apple story". MacNN.com. May 3, 2007.
- McLeod, Ramon G. (May 9, 2009). "Editor in Chief Harry McCracken Returns to PCW". PC World.
- McCracken, Harry (October 31, 2007). "Apple's Microsoft-Devouring Jungle Cat: How Leopard demolishes Vista". Slate.
- "ABM Names Specialty Award Recipients" B2B Magazine, Feb. 2008
- "The 2008 Folio:40"