Tehran Symphony Orchestra
|Tehran Symphony Orchestra|
|Principal conductor||Shahrdad Rouhani|
The Tehran Symphony Orchestra (TSO, Persian: ارکستر سمفونیک تهران), founded in 1933, is Iran's oldest and largest symphony orchestra. It was founded as the Municipality Symphony Orchestra by Gholamhossein Minbashian, before entering its modern form under Parviz Mahmoud in 1946. In the years that followed, conductors such as Rubik (Ruben) Gregorian, Morteza Hannaneh, Haymo Taeuber, Heshmat Sanjari, and Farhad Meshkat took over as the conductors of the Orchestra.
After the 1979 Revolution, many musicians of the TSO emigrated to Europe and the US. For some years Heshmat Sanjari and then Fereydoun Nasseri were the conductors. The current conductor of TSO is Shardad Rohani
1933 - 1979
1979 - present
After the 1979 Iranian revolution, clerics outlawed all pre-revolutionary music, hardline clerics say music comes between the faithful and God, and leads to an impure mind. As a result, the orchestra faced its darkest age, playing only a few concerts in the decade following the revolution. The pressure caused the conductor Heshmat Sanjari a serious sickness, he died in 1995.
The orchestra still plays concerts once in a while.
- Parviz Mahmoud (1946–1948)
- Rouben Gregorian (1948–1951)
- Morteza Hannaneh (1952–1954)
- Haymo Taeuber (1957–1960)
- Heshmat Sanjari (1960–1971)
- Farhad Meshkat (1972–1978)
- Bijan Ghaderi (1980-1982)
- Nader Mortezapour (1982–1984)
- Fereydoun Nasseri (1990–1994)
- Ali Rahbari (2004–2005)
- Nader Mashayekhi (2006–2007)
- Manuchehr Sahbai (2007–2010)
- Ali Rahbari (2015–2016)
- Shahrdad Rohani (2016–2020)
- Nassir Heidarian-Rasty (2020-present)
- Persian symphonic music
- Music of Iran
- Iran's National Orchestra
- Iranian Orchestra for New Music
- Persepolis Symphony Orchestra (Nations Orchestra)
- Symphonic Orchestra of Dushanbe
- Iran's Children Orchestra
- Another Look at the Tehran Symphony Orchestra’s Concert in Germany
- "Biography Heshmat Sanjari". Archived from the original on 2010-09-25. Retrieved 2021-06-13.
- "Cultural exchange: German orchestra to make rare visit to Iran". Associated Press. 2007-08-26. Archived from the original on 2007-08-28. Retrieved 2021-06-13.
- "BBC Persian".