Terry with Judy Garland in The Wizard of Oz, 1939
November 17, 1933|
Chicago, Illinois, U.S.
|Died||September 1, 1945
Hollywood, California, U.S.
|Notable role||Rags in Bright Eyes
Toto in The Wizard of Oz
Terry (November 17, 1933 – September 1, 1945) was a Cairn Terrier who appeared in 16 different movies, most famously as Toto in the 1939 movie The Wizard of Oz. It was her only credited role, though she was credited not as Terry but as Toto.
Life and career
Terry, born in the midst of the Great Depression, was trained and owned by Carl Spitz. Her first film appearance was in Ready For Love which was released on November 30, 1934 roughly one month before her first major film appearance, with Shirley Temple, in 1934's Bright Eyes as Rags. Terry, who did her own stunts, almost lost her life during the filming of The Wizard of Oz when one of the Winkie guards accidentally stepped on her, breaking her foot. She spent two weeks recuperating at Judy Garland's residence, and Garland developed a close attachment to her. Garland wanted to adopt her, but Spitz refused. Terry's salary, $125 per week, was more than that of many human actors in the film, and also more than many working Americans at the time. She attended the premiere of The Wizard of Oz at Grauman's Chinese Theater; because of the popularity of the film, her name was changed to Toto in 1942. Terry had 16 total film appearances, three of which were playing in theaters at the same time in the fall of 1939: The Wizard of Oz, The Women and Bad Little Angel. Her last film was Tortilla Flat (1942), in which she was reunited with Oz director Victor Fleming and Frank Morgan, who played the Wizard.
- Ready for Love (1934)
- Bright Eyes (1934)
- The Dark Angel (1935)
- Fury (1936)
- The Buccaneer (1938)
- Stablemates (1938)
- The Wizard of Oz (1939) - only credited role (credited as Toto)
- The Women (1939)
- Bad Little Angel (1939) as "Rex"
- Calling Philo Vance (1940)
- Son of the Navy (1940)
- Cinderella's Feller (1940)
- The Chocolate Soldier (1941)
- Twin Beds (1942)
- George Washington Slept Here (1942)
- Tortilla Flat (1942)
- Choron, Harry; Choron, Sandra (2005). Planet Dog: A Doglopedia. Mariner Books. p. 50. ISBN 978-0-618-51752-7. Retrieved 2014-01-23.
- Lloyd, Ann (2003). Hollywood Dogs. Barron's Educational Series. p. 6. ISBN 978-0-7641-5720-2. Retrieved 2014-01-23.
- Powe Allred, Alexandra (2004). Dogs' Most Wanted: The Top 10 Book of Historic Hounds, Professional Pooches, and Canine Oddities. Potomac Books Inc. pp. 156–157. ISBN 978-1-57488-801-0. Retrieved 2014-01-23.
- Bush, Karen (2007). Everything Dogs Expect You to Know. New Holland Publishers Ltd. p. 79. ISBN 978-1-84537-954-4. Retrieved 2014-01-23.
- "The “Famous” Cairn Terrier Movie List". Retrieved 2014-01-23.
- "HOLLYWOODLAND » Blog Archive » Toto finds a home at Hollywood Forever". Allanellenberger.com. June 18, 2011. Retrieved September 18, 2012.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Terry (dog).|