Texts from Hillary
Texts from Hillary was an internet meme that went viral in 2012, based on photographs of then-Secretary of State Hillary Clinton. The photos show Clinton holding a BlackBerry phone, wearing sunglasses. A Tumblr blog added various captions under the photo, imagining what Clinton might have been texting, and paired them with a matching photo to represent her imagined conversation partner.
The meme was based on two photographs of the same moment, from slightly different angles. One version of the photo was taken by Diane Walker from Time magazine, the other by Kevin Lamarque from the Associated Press. The photo was taken while Clinton was aboard a diplomatic trip to Libya.
In June 2016, a Freedom of Information Act deposition in a lawsuit by Judicial Watch, which was part of the Hillary Clinton email controversy, revealed that the photo caught the interest of State Department employees, who were inspired to investigate if Clinton was using a personal email account instead of an official state account.
- "'Texts from Hillary' photographer didn't LOL— at first".
- "Reuters photog who took 'Texts from Hillary' picture says viral meme was 'a mystery to me'". 13 April 2012.
- Lecher, Colin (10 June 2016). "'Texts from Hillary' photo raised questions about Clinton's email habits at State Department".
- "That Viral Photo of Hillary Checking Her Phone Made the State Department Want to Investigate Her Email Usage". 10 June 2016.
- Tacopino, Joe (10 June 2016). "This photo was the beginning of the end for Hillary".
- "Clinton BlackBerry photo led to State official's query about email account".
- Worl, Justin. "Hillary Clinton Drops 'Text from Hillary' Twitter Avatar".
- "Hillary Clinton changed her 'Texts from Hillary' Twitter avatar".
- "The 'Texts from Hillary' meme isn't so funny anymore".