(Redirected from Thakurs)
- Thakur (bn: ঠাকুর) is a Bengali surname derived from "Thakurmashai" or ‘holy sir’ for any Bengali Brahmins,
- also for someone with high spiritual esteem.
- The surname was given out of respect to any Brahmin family, who used to hold a different surname earlier, like Kushari, (Pirali Brahmins) Bhattacharya (Vaidika Brahmins)  etc.
- In English, it was anglicized to Tagore. Tagores are Bengali Brahmins    (Kushari) who came from eastern part of Bengal (now in Bangladesh) and settled in the region situated on the right bank of river Hooghly (Rarh) in the 14th century.
- Tagore family are Pirali Brahmins from Calcutta with ancestral gentry roots in Jessore.
- Thakur is also a feudal title and a surname or title used by the Royal families of India and Nepal, but 24 years after the Independence of India, the concept of Kingdoms and Monarchy were abolished by the Democratic Government, under the 26th Constitutional amendment of 1971 that abolished privy purses.
- The word Thakur means lord, god or master,The title was used by rulers of several princely states including Ambliara, Vala, Morbi and Varsoda. Sons of Thakurs, were given the title of Kunwar, denoting the prince.
- In the zamindari system Thakurs were landlords who used to collect revenue in their jagir (feudatory estate).
- Thakur (Bengali surname)
- Tagore family
- Thakur (title)
- Thakore, a Hindu caste in Gujarat, India
- Tagore, anglicized form
- cf. Hindu Castes and Sects, Jogendranath Bhattacharya, Part III, Chap 1, Pg 35
- cf. Samaj Biplab ba Brahman Andalon, Dinabandhu Acharya Vedashastri
- Tagore, Rathindranath (December 1978). On the edges of time (New ed.). Greenwood Press. p. 2. ISBN 978-0313207600.
- Mukherjee, Mani Shankar (May 2010). "Timeless Genius". Pravasi Bharatiya: 89, 90.
- Banerjee, Hiranmay (1995). Tagores of Jorasanko. Gyan Publishing House.
- RoyChowdhury, Sumitra (1982). The Gurudev and the Mahatma. Subhada-Saraswata Publications. p. 29.
- Aruna Chakravarti, Sunil Gangopadhyaya. Those Days. pp. 97–98. ISBN 9780140268522.
- Thompson, Edward (1948). Rabindranath Tagore : Poet And Dramatist. Oxford University Press. p. 13.
- Dr. S. Radhakrishnan. Rabindranath tagore A Centenary Volume 1861–1961. Sahitya Academy. ISBN 81-7201-332-9.
|This disambiguation page lists articles associated with the title Thakur.
If an internal link led you here, you may wish to change the link to point directly to the intended article.