|Date of birth||25 September 1991|
|Place of birth||Lamia, Greece|
|Height||1.79 m (5 ft 10 1⁄2 in)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 26 November 2016.
‡ National team caps and goals correct as of 15 November 2011
He was part of the Atromitos team who were runners-up of the 2010–11 Greek Cup, after losing 0–3 to AEK Athens. Thanasis only made 2 appearances in Atromitos' way to the final, one as a starter against Anagennisi Giannitsa for the fourth phase and one as a substitute against Diagoras for the second leg of the quarter finals. He scored his first goal with the club on May 3, 2014 in an away loss 2-1 against Twente.
In January 2014, he signed a 2,5 years' contract with PEC Zwolle for a transfer fee of €300.000. He made his debut with the club in January, 18th as a substitute in a 1-2 home loss against Vitesse Arnhem. Karagounis injured on his lip during the Dutch cup match between PEC Zwolle and NEC Nijmegen at IJsseldelta stadium on March 26, 2014 in Zwolle. On November 25, 2014 Karagounis injured again in his knee losing the rest of the 2014/15 season.
In July 2015, after a very difficult year for the defender marred by injury (185 days to be exact), according to voetbal international, Karagounis' return as the PEC Zwolle midfielder was postponed when there was a setback during his rehabilitation from a cruciate ligament injury. It remains a question whether there is a need for another operation.
On 22 April 2016, PEC Zwolle renew Karagounis contract for two seasons, till the summer of 2018, despite his severe injury that kept him out of action for the whole season. There is also an option included in his contract for one more season. Karagounis has took only nineteen official matches for PEC Zwolle, however, he was plagued by injuries, and he barely played for the Blue Fingers. The Technical Director Gerard Nijkamp spoke about the extended contract: "Thanasis worked hard over the past year and a half to get back fully recover from his serious knee injury. Currently, however, he trains regularly again with the group, and his recovery is going well. We have confidence in his abilities and felt nothing for him to leave on a free transfer from Zwolle leave. Hopefully we can enjoy him again in the 2016-17 season frequent his actions." But also Karagounis himself is happy to stay longer at the club: "The management, staff, coaches and fans from the first day that I expressed confidence in me in Zwolle. Even after I got to make two occasions with injuries. The city of Zwolle now feels like my home and I continue to work hard to make people proud. With the help of God, I hope to stay fit and healthy in the coming years. I want to prove that I am important for the club."
After a very difficult year for the defender marred by injury (363 days to be exact), Karagounis returned to action in a 4-1 away win game against DVS '33 Ermelo for the 2016–17 KNVB Cup. On 2 October 2016, he made his reappearance in the championship as a late substitute in a 2-1 home win against ADO Den Haag. On 17 February 2017, he suffered a new knee injury, a second during the 2016-17 season, and the medical predictions estimate his return to action in a month.
|Club performance||League||Cup||Super Cup||Europe||Total|
|2008–09||Fokikos||Football League 2||30||4||1||0||0||0||0||0||31||4|
His brother Vasilios Karagounis is also a footballer, who is currently playing for Iraklis F.C.. Although he shares the same surname as Giorgos Karagounis, the former captain of the Greek national football team, it was revealed at an joint interview of both players that they are not related.
- "Thanasis Karagounis profile". UEFA.
- "Thanasis Karagounis to Atromitos". Paratiritis Fthiotidas (in Greek). Retrieved 26 November 2011.
- "Atromitos are champions". in.gr (in Greek). 18 May 2009.
- "2010–11 Greek Cup Final, match report". Hellenic Football Federation (in Greek).
- "Anagennisi Giannitsa – Atromitos 1–3 (26/10/2010), match report". Hellenic Football Federation., Καραγκούνης (Greek)
- "Diagoras – Atromitos 0–1 (3/2/2011), match report". Hellenic Football Federation., Καραγκούνης (Greek)
- "Dutch Cup - PEC Zwolle v NEC Nijmegen".
- "Χάνει τη χρονιά ο Θανάσης Καραγκούνης".
- "PEC dreigt Karagounis nog een jaar te missen". 3 July 2015.
- "Thanasis Karagounis verlengt contract". 22 April 2016.
- "DVS'33 uit Ermelo verliest van buurman PEC Zwolle: 1-4". 21 September 2016.
- "Greece U21 squad". Hellenic Football Federation (in Greek). Retrieved 26 November 2011.
- Katonis, Pavlos (14 November 2010). "When Karagounis met Karagounis". Espresso (in Greek). Retrieved 26 November 2011.
- Voetbal International profile (Dutch)