Thanatomorphose is a 2012 Canadian body horror film directed by Éric Falardeau. His directorial debut, it was first released on October 2, 2012, in Spain and has been shown at several film festivals since then, including the Fantasia Film Festival. Thanatomorphose stars Kayden Rose as a young woman that finds her body slowly rotting from a mysterious ailment.
This section needs expansion. You can help by adding to it. (September 2015)
The film follows Laura (Kayden Rose), a young woman who is incredibly unhappy with her life. Her career as an artist is going nowhere and she's trapped in an abusive relationship with her boyfriend. After one night of incredibly rough sex, Laura discovers several bruises on her body that begin to spread. She initially pays them no more heed than the bruises her boyfriend otherwise gives her, but as time passes the bruises begin to spread over her entire body. As her body begins to decay at an ever increasing rate, Laura begins to isolate herself and experience dreams filled with death and decay.
- Kayden Rose as Laura
- Davyd Tousignant as Antoine
- Émile Beaudry as Julian
- Karine Picard as Anne
- Roch-Denis Gagnon as Stephan
- Eryka Cantieri as Marie (as Eryka L. Cantieri)
- Pat Lemaire
- Simon Laperrière
Critical reception for Thanatomorphose has been mixed, and since its release the film has been compared to Contracted, a similarly plotted film released in 2013. Ain't It Cool News gave a mixed review that praised the film's special effects but warning that the film would not appeal to all audiences due to its content. Fearnet gave a similar review, saying that it was "not the kind of horror film I'd want to watch every week – and I may even find it difficult to recommend – but I'd be lying if I said Thanatomorphose didn't fascinate, aggravate, and impress me at the same time." Dread Central panned the movie, giving it one and a half blades and criticizing it as "all grue, little substance".
- Best Movie Award, XXX Festival de Cine de Terror de Molins de Rei (2012)
- Best Special Effects Award, A Night of Horror International Film Festival (2012)
- Best Film, Best Director, Best Actress, Most Repulsive Flick Awards, Housecore Horror Film Festival (2013)
- Best Horror Film, The Phillip K. Dick Film Festival (2013)
- Best Special Effects Award, Horrorant Film Festival 'FRIGHT NIGHTS' (2014)
- "Thanatomorphose art is here to ruin your day". JoBlo. Retrieved 1 December 2013.
- "THANATOMORPHOSE". FFF. Retrieved 1 December 2013.
- "MINIFEATURE: "THANATOMORPHOSE"". FANGORIA #323. April 2013. Retrieved 1 December 2013.
- "Thanatomorphose REVIEW". SFX. Retrieved 1 December 2013.
- Janisse, Kier-La. "ROT WOMAN: ERIC FALARDEAU'S "THANATOMORPHOSE" AND ERIC ENGLAND'S "CONTRACTED" GET CRAZY FROM THE INSIDE OUT". Fangoria. Retrieved 30 November 2013.
- "AICN HORROR looks at THANATOMORPHOSE! THE UPPER FOOTAGE! NOSFERATU! I AM ZOZO! RAW CUT! SANGUIVOROUS! & other big scary words!". AICN. Retrieved 1 December 2013.
- Weinberg, Scott. "FEARnet Movie Review: 'Thanatomorphose'". Fearnet. Retrieved 1 December 2013.
- "Thanatomorphose (review)". Dread Central. Retrieved 1 December 2013.
- "NSFW! EXCLUSIVE First Look At The THANATOMORPHOSE Trailer". Twitch Film. Retrieved 1 December 2013.
- "HHFF'S 2013 1st ANNUAL (?) ROT-SCARS NOMINEES AND WINNERS". HHFF. Retrieved 1 December 2013.
- "Official film website". Official film website. Retrieved 1 December 2013.