That Girl (Jennifer Nettles song)
|Single by Jennifer Nettles|
|from the album That Girl|
|Released||August 5, 2013|
|Jennifer Nettles singles chronology|
"That Girl" is a song co-written and recorded by American country music singer Jennifer Nettles, lead vocalist of the duo Sugarland. It was released August 20, 2013 via Mercury Nashville as Nettles' first solo single and the lead single from her debut solo album of the same name.
Nettles co-wrote the song with Butch Walker. The song is about a woman who is tricked into having relations with a man who did not reveal that he is already in a relationship. She contacts the man's wife and tells her that "I don't wanna be that girl."
"That Girl" has been described as a lyrical counterpoint to Dolly Parton's classic, "Jolene". Nettles was reportedly inspired by the idea of putting a different spin on the story: "Everyone knows this legendary Dolly song ... But, what is the other side to the story? What if Jolene didn't want to 'take her man, just because she can', so to speak?"
Giving the song a B+, Joseph Hudak of Country Weekly contrasted it with the relationship seen in Sugarland's "Stay", in which the female narrator instead pleads a man to stay with her instead of returning to his wife. He also wrote that "Refreshingly, there’s no slick production here. The payoff, though, is the chanteuse’s smokey vocals, which prove yet again why Jennifer is one of country (or pop’s) most nuanced singers." Matt Bjorke of Roughstock rated it 5 out of 5 stars, saying that "It's simple. It's powerful. And mostly, it's unique in a land of songs about beer and rural field parties".
|US Hot Country Songs (Billboard)||37|
|US Country Airplay (Billboard)||37|
- "That Girl - Single". iTunes. Apple Inc. Retrieved 4 November 2013.
- Philbrook, Erik. "Jennifer Nettles Goes from Sugarland to Solo Star on New Album". Playback Magazine. ASCAP. Retrieved 4 November 2013.
- "Jennifer Nettles Plays The Other Woman In 'That Girl' Video". Radio.com. October 4, 2013. Retrieved November 4, 2013.
- Hudak, Joseph. ""That Girl" by Jennifer Nettles". Country Weekly. American Media, Inc. Retrieved 4 November 2013.
- Scott, Jason. "Jennifer Nettles, "That Girl" - Single Review". Nashville Gab. Retrieved 4 November 2013.
- Pacella, Megan. "Jennifer Nettles, 'That Girl' - Lyrics Uncovered". Taste of Country. Townsquare Media. Retrieved 4 November 2013.
- Bjorke, Matt. "Single Review: Jennifer Nettles - That Girl". Roughstock. Cheri Media Group. Retrieved 4 November 2013.
- "CMT : Videos : Jennifer Nettles : That Girl". Country Music Television. Retrieved October 4, 2013.
- Vinson, Christina (October 4, 2013). "Jennifer Nettles Shows Her Remorseful Side in 'That Girl' Video". Taste of Country. Retrieved November 4, 2013.
- Morris, Edward. "Luke Bryan Crashes Album Chart a Week Early". CMT. Viacom. Retrieved 4 November 2013.
- "Jennifer Nettles Chart History (Hot Country Songs)". Billboard.
- "Jennifer Nettles Chart History (Country Airplay)". Billboard.