The BQE (soundtrack)
|Soundtrack album by Sufjan Stevens|
|Released||October 20, 2009|
|Sufjan Stevens chronology|
|Drowned In Sound||7/10|
The BQE is a mixed-medium artistic exploration of the Brooklyn-Queens Expressway by Sufjan Stevens. The project originally manifested in the form of a live show, performed on November 1–3, 2007. The show consisted of an original film, directed and written by Stevens, accompanied by an orchestra performing a live soundtrack.
The album recording was made after the rehearsals for the show. It was recorded live during a one-day session in Legacy Studios' A509 orchestral suite (since closed and demolished) with most of the group in the same large room together.
A multimedia package of The BQE was released on October 20, 2009. The set consists of a CD of the show's soundtrack, a DVD of Brooklyn-Queen Expressway footage that accompanied the original performance (not a film of the performance itself), a 40-page booklet with liner notes and photos, and a stereoscopic 3D View-Master reel. There is also a limited edition version that features the soundtrack on 180-gram vinyl and a 40-page BQE-themed comic book starring the show's hula-hooping wonder women, The Hooper Heroes.
Regarding The BQE, Stevens said:
I intended to create a non-personal, non-narrative piece. I tried to reduce my own personal investment as much as possible, and I refused to incorporate one of my strengths, which is the song. I was relinquishing my greatest weapon.
|1.||"Prelude on the Esplanade"||2:56|
|2.||"Introductory Fanfare for the Hooper Heroes"||1:07|
|3.||"Movement I: In the Countenance of Kings"||5:19|
|4.||"Movement II: Sleeping Invader"||4:34|
|5.||"Interlude I: Dream Sequence in Subi Circumnavigation"||3:33|
|6.||"Movement III: Linear Tableau with Intersecting Surprise"||4:09|
|7.||"Movement IV: Traffic Shock"||3:24|
|8.||"Movement V: Self-Organizing Emergent Patterns"||3:45|
|9.||"Interlude II: Subi Power Waltz"||0:28|
|10.||"Interlude III: Invisible Accidents"||0:54|
|11.||"Movement VI: Isorhythmic Night Dance with Interchanges"||3:17|
|12.||"Movement VII (Finale): The Emperor of Centrifuge"||3:51|
|13.||"Postlude: Critical Mass"||2:59|
|DVD-only bonus track|
|14.||"The Sleeping Red Wolves"||4:23|
- Alejandro Venguer, assisted by Jeff Kirby and Tyler Van Dalen – recording, legacy studios, new york city
- Casey Foubert, James McAlister, and Sufjan Stevens – additional recording, Sufjan's office in Brooklyn
- Sufjan Stevens – mixing
- Lisa Moran – production management
- Michael Atkinson – music editing, copyist
- Performing Artists
- "Hooper Heroes" Comic Book/Stereoscopic Reel
- Sufjan Stevens – story, writing
- Stephen Halker – story, penciling, inking, lettering, coloring
- Heidi Cho – coloring
- David Min – coloring
- Matt Loux – cover watercolour
- Christian Ackler – cover masthead
- AllMusic review
- BBC review
- Drowned in Sound review
- NME review
- Pitchfork review
- Slant review
- Bell, Sean (2009-10-19). "Sufjan Stevens: American 21st-century Renaissance man". Herald Scotland. Retrieved 2009-11-26.
- "http://www.sfexaminer.com/justin-peck-premiere-rounds-out-sf-ballet-program-7/ Justin Peck world premiere rounds out SF Ballet Program 7]" by Leslie Katz, San Francisco Examiner. April 11, 2016. Accessed April 13, 2016.