The Biz Never Sleeps
This article needs additional citations for verification. (October 2008) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|The Biz Never Sleeps|
|Studio album by|
|Released||October 10, 1989|
|Genre||Golden age hip hop|
|Label||Cold Chillin'/Warner Bros. Records|
|Biz Markie chronology|
|Singles from The Biz Never Sleeps|
The Biz Never Sleeps is the second studio album by Biz Markie. It was released on October 10, 1989, on Cold Chillin'/Warner Bros. Records and was produced by Biz, his cousin Cool V and seminal producer Paul C, instead of Cold Chillin' in-house producer Marley Marl. The album proved to be a success, peaking at #66 on the Billboard 200 and #9 on the Top R&B/Hip-Hop Albums, as well as producing his most famous song and biggest hit, "Just a Friend," which made it to #9 on the Billboard Hot 100 and #5 on the Hot Rap Singles.
A 2006 Japanese issue includes song "A Thing Named Kim" as track 8.
Though out of print for many years, the album was reissued on LP and CD in 2012 by Traffic Entertainment Group.
The release has received praise both from critics as well as fellow musicians over the years, with "Just a Friend" attracting particular acclaim. The 2006 hip-hop centered memoir In the Arms of Baby Hop cited the album as one of the "immaculate tapes out by February and March of 1990" (another example being 3rd Bass's The Cactus LP) influencing many. The magazine Jet named the release one of their top 20 albums of the period in their January 15, 1990 edition.
- "Dedication"- 4:02
- "Check It Out"- 4:01
- "The Dragon"- 4:08
- "Spring Again"- 4:03
- "Just a Friend"- 4:00
- "She's Not Just Another Woman (Monique)"- 3:46
- "Mudd Foot"- 4:16
- "A Thing Named Kim"- 4:44
- "Me vs. Me"- 4:47
- "My Man Rich"- 3:44
- "I Hear Music"- 3:01
- "Biz In The Harmony"- 4:16
- "Things Get a Little Easier"- 4:12
|Producer(s)||Biz Markie, DJ Cool V|
|Executive Producer(s)||Benny Medina|
|Lead vocals and rhyming||Biz Markie|
|Additional and background vocals||Mary Brown|
|Mixing||DJ Cool V|
|Engineering||Doc Rodriguez, DJ Cool V, Paul C|
|Design||George DuBose||More information about the making of this album can be found in the book DJ Cool V Never Sleeps, https://www.djcoolv.com/never-sleeps|
|US Billboard 200||66|
|US Top R&B/Hip-Hop Albums (Billboard)||9|
|United States (RIAA)||Gold||500,000^|
*sales figures based on certification alone
- The Biz Never Sleeps at AllMusic
- "The Biz Never Sleeps by Biz Markie to be Re-Released". rapstation.com. Retrieved 7 July 2012.
- Attaway, Kenny (2006). In the Arms of Baby Hop. p. 23. ISBN 1425971067.
- Jet. January 15, 1990. Page 62.
- "Biz Markie Chart History (Billboard 200)". Billboard. Retrieved March 4, 2017.
- "Biz Markie Chart History (Top R&B/Hip-Hop Albums)". Billboard. Retrieved March 4, 2017.
- "American album certifications – Biz Markie – The Biz Never Sleeps". Recording Industry Association of America. If necessary, click Advanced, then click Format, then select Album, then click SEARCH.