The Cloud Mystery
The Cloud Mystery is a documentary by Danish director Lars Oxfeldt Mortensen. It explores the published theory by Danish scientist Henrik Svensmark on how galactic cosmic rays and solar activity affects cloud cover, and how this influences the earth's climate. Also known as Klimamysteriet in Danish.
This documentary presents the work done to develop the theory that cloud cover change is caused by variations in cosmic rays as the major originator of global climate variation. It also mentions that these scientist to not subscribe to the view that human influence and the effect of greenhouse gases as significant drivers of climate. However, the focus is on the work they have done and not on other climate theories like anthropogenic global warming for instance.
Where to watch it
The Cloud Mystery aired on TV2 (Denmark) in early 2008. It was also shown on Norway's NRK and on TV4 Fakta, (which can be viewed in Sweden and Finland.) and on Arte (April 2. 2010, "Das Geheimnis der Wolken") in Germany. It may also be bought at The Cloud Mystery and may be watched on YouTube.
The documentary sparked a debate between supporters and critics of the scientific consensus that carbon dioxide is the prime cause of global warming. However, the scientific results of Svensmark and Nir Shaviv, two of the protagonists, forming the basis of the documentary, have been criticized by Mike Lockwood and Claus Froehlich (see Galactic Cosmic Rays vs Global Temperature).
- Cosmic rays – Postulated role in climate change
- Milky Way
- Barred spiral galaxy
- Cloud condensation nuclei
- The Chilling Stars
- The Great Global Warming Swindle
- Svensmark, Henrik (2007). "Cosmoclimatology: a new theory emerges". Astronomy & Geophysics. Blackwell Publishing. 48 (1): 18–24. ISSN 1366-8781.
- TVnyt.com - Daglige nyheder fra TV-verdenen
- Anmeldelse: Svensmarks klimamysterium på TV2 | Ingeniøren
- More slurs from realclimate.org | ScienceBits
- Mike Lockwood & Claus Fröhlich (2007). "Recent oppositely directed trends in solar climate forcings and the global mean surface air temperature". Proceedings of the Royal Society A. 463: 2447. Bibcode:2007RSPSA.463.2447L. doi:10.1098/rspa.2007.1880.
- Solar activity cleared of global warming blame - The Age, Australia
|Wikiquote has quotations related to: The Cloud Mystery|
- The Cloud Mystery
- Another Inconvenient Truth? - The Copenhagen Post's overview of The Cloud Mystery and how it was received in the Danish press.
- Anmeldelse: Svensmarks klimamysterie på TV2 - review of The Cloud Mystery in the Danish engineering trade weekly Ingenøren.
- Official Website for The Cloud Mystery
- Website for director Lars Oxfeldt Mortensen
- Other documentary movies of Lars Oxfeldt Mortensen disputing the anthropic Global Warming (AGW):
- Epic Sound - official website for Simon Ravn, who composed the music for The Cloud Mystery
- Plot outline from TV2 World
- Nielsostenfeld.dk – official website for Niels Ostenfeld, film editor, The Cloud Mystery