The Con is On
This article relies too much on references to primary sources. (January 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|"The Con is On"|
|Episode no.||Season 1
|Directed by||Bharat Nalluri|
|Written by||Tony Jordan|
|Original air date||24 February 2004|
|Running time||60 minutes|
"The Con is On" is an episode in the British television drama series Hustle that was first broadcast on 24 February 2004. It is the first episode of the series created by Tony Jordan, and made by Kudos Film & Television for BBC One in the United Kingdom.
The episode begins with Michael Stone's release from prison. Tricking Ash, Stacie and Albert into believing that he is to carry out one last con before he retires, Mickey forms a group to perform an investment scam on a businessman, Peter Williams, telling him to invest with brilliant returns. Danny, having not impressed Mickey earlier in the episode, turns up at a key moment in the con to convince Williams to take part, gaining him entry to the group. However, Danny is approached by police officers who tell him to testify to shorten the trial, and in a confrontation with Mickey, Mickey is shot in the head. Danny is faced with a choice: either testify against the other members of the group or go to prison with them. When he refuses, it is revealed that this dilemma was simply a test, Mickey isn't dead, and that the man leading the police investigation was a fellow con artist, as Stacy had stolen another Policeman's ID.
- Michael "Mickey Bricks" Stone — Adrian Lester
- Danny Blue — Marc Warren
- Stacie Monroe — Jaime Murray
- Ash "Three Socks" Morgan — Robert Glenister
- Albert Stroller — Robert Vaughn
- Eddie — Rob Jarvis
- Peter Williams — James Laurenson
- DS Terri Hodges — Liz May Brice
- DCI Mullens — Ken Bones
- Neil Cooper/DePalma — Tom Mannion
- In the opening shot of the series Mickey Bricks addresses the camera, and thus the audience directly, breaking the fourth wall. Clearly the creators have established that this is a story-telling device that they will use throughout the series.
- It hit 6.7 million viewers, greater than the 5.5 million viewers that watched the football match shown on rival channel ITV.
- Upon first meeting Danny, Mickey comments "I bet you've even watched The Sting". Later in the episode, when Danny gate-crashes the con, Mickey introduces Danny as 'Mr Redford'. Also the con pulled in the episode is nearly identical to the con pulled in The Sting.