The Crash (2017 film)
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Aram Rappaport|
|Music by||Guy Moon|
|Distributed by||Vertical Entertainment|
The Crash is an American thriller film, written and directed by Aram Rappaport and produced by Aaron Becker, Isaac La Mell, Kristi Gescheidler, Atit Shah, Hilary Shor and Peter Shuldiner. The film stars Minnie Driver, Frank Grillo, Dianna Agron, AnnaSophia Robb, Maggie Q, Mary McCormack, Ed Westwick, Christopher McDonald, and John Leguizamo.
In the not so distant future, a team of white-collar criminals is enlisted by the federal government of the United States to thwart a cyber attack that threatens to bankrupt the United States of America.
- Minnie Driver as Shannon Clifton
- Frank Grillo as Guy Clifton
- John Leguizamo as George Diebold
- Dianna Agron as Amelia Rhondart
- Mary McCormack as Sarah Schwab
- Christopher McDonald as Richard Del Banco
- Maggie Q as Nurse Hilary
- AnnaSophia Robb as Creason Clifton
- Ed Westwick as Ben Collins
Aram Rappaport directed the film from a script he wrote and developed with the help of Hilary Shor. Rappaport's second feature film, 2013’s Syrup — an adaptation of the 1999 novel by Max Barry — starred Amber Heard and actor Shiloh Fernandez, both hired by Rappaport before their careers had taken off. “My relationship with Aram was formed under the trials of shooting on such a small budget,” says “Jekyll Island” producer Hilary Shor, whose other recent credits include The Paperboy with Nicole Kidman and Zac Efron and Lee Daniels The Butler. “I have faith he will develop into an extraordinary filmmaker, and I was happy to be able to nurture that talent.” said Shor.
On October 29, 2013, Variety announced that Frank Grillo and Minnie Driver will be starring in A Conspiracy on Jekyll Island as a married couple; Dianna Agron, John Leguizamo, Ed Westwick, and Maggie Q will be joining them. On November 25, 2013, Deadline Hollywood reported that AnnaSophia Robb will be portraying the duo's character cancer-stricken daughter. On December 2, 2014, Variety reported that Mary McCormack had been added to the ensemble. Rappaport admitted that Agron's character is a "total badass" and is one of the lead roles. Agron said that her character is "much more aggressive" than her past roles. On August 11, 2015, Rappaport and producer Atit Shah reported that the score, composed by Guy Moon, was being recorded by The Seattle Philharmonic Orchestra.
At the 2016 People's Choice Awards held in Los Angeles on January 6, 2016 Ed Westwick had this to say on how his fans will react to finally seeing him play a character with a solid sense of right and wrong, "It was different from anything I had done, that's always something that's going to make you attracted to a part," said Westwick. "The moral compass was also something that was interesting as well because after someone does something that's bad, how do they get back to a neutral place or a more positive place?" Westwick added that he's hoping fans enjoy seeing him in a new light.
Internationally the film will be released under the title Conspiracy in 2017.
The film received prominently negative critic reviews, it holds a 17% "rotten" rating on Rotten Tomatoes based on 12 reviews, with an average rating of 3.7/10. The users average rating is significantly higher at 72% positive.
Edward Douglas of Film Journal International called the movie "an entertaining film that tries to point out the flaws in the American financial system with a short running time that ensures it never wears out its welcome."
- "Frank Grillo Tries To Stop An Economic Cyber Attack In Trailer For 'The Crash'". 13 December 2016.
- Justin Kroll (October 29, 2013). "'The Butler' Producer Sets up Next Pic Starring Frank Grillo and Minnie Driver (EXCLUSIVE)". Variety.
- The Deadline Team. "AnnaSophia Robb Joins 'Conspiracy On Jekyll Island'; Mark Henry Joins Blumhouse Thriller 'Incarnate'". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved 2014-07-14.
- "Direct effect: Aram Rappaport - SPLASH". Chicago Sun-Times. May 25, 2014.
- Kroll, Justin (December 2, 2013). "Mary McCormack Joins Ensemble 'Conspiracy on Jekyll Island'". Variety.
- "Aram Rappaport on Twitter".
- "Aram Rappaport on Twitter".
- VIDEO - Malavita: Dianna Agron, "Je me sens chez moi en France" notre interview (EXCLU)". Melty.fr. 2013-10-23.
- "Instagram video by @aramrappaport • Aug 11, 2015 at 5:49pm UTC".
- "Instagram video by atit shah • Aug 13, 2015 at 12:58am UTC".
- "EXCLUSIVE VIDEO: Ed Westwick Opens Up About Playing The Good Guy In His New Film 'Jekyll Island'". 14 January 2016.
- "Official Trailer for Thriller 'The Crash' About a Stock Market Criminal".
- "The Crash (Jekyll Island) (2017)". Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved 31 December 2018.