The Delineator was an American women's magazine of the late 19th and early 20th centuries, founded by the Butterick Publishing Company in 1869 under the name The Metropolitan Monthly. Its name was changed in 1875. The magazine was published on a monthly basis in New York City. In November 1926, under the editorship of Mrs. William Brown Meloney, it absorbed The Designer, founded in 1887 and published by the Standard Fashion Company, a Butterick subsidiary.
The Delineator featured the Butterick sewing patterns and provided an in-depth look at the fashion of the day. Butterick also produced quarterly catalogs of fashion patterns in the 1920s and early 1930s.
In addition to clothing patterns, the magazine published photos and drawings of embroidery and needlework that could be used to adorn both clothing and items for the home. It also included articles on all forms of home decor. It also published fiction, including many short stories by L. Frank Baum. In the late 1920s, it featured covers by noted fashion artist Helen Dryden.
It ceased publication in 1937.
- "Newsstand: 1925. The Delineator". University of West Florida. Retrieved January 15, 2016.
- "Butterick Magazines to Merge," The New York Times, June 17, 1926
- W.A. Swanberg, Dreiser. Scribner, 1965, (p. 135).
- "Helen Dryden: Illustrator and Industrial Designer in the Age of Art Deco". Washington University in St. Louis Dowd Modern Graphic History Library, Special Collections. Retrieved January 15, 2021.
- The Delineator Magazine Profile
Endres, Kathleen L. and Therese L. Lueck, eds. Women's Periodicals in the United States: Consumer Magazines. Westport, CT: Greenwood Press, 1995: 60.
Bland, Sidney R. "Shaping the Life of the New Woman: The Crusading Years of the "Delineator" ." American Periodicals. Columbus, OH: The Ohio State University Press, 2009: Vol
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to The Delineator.|
- The Delineator at the HathiTrust Digital Library Note-The color plates are often not scanned.
- Catalog record for online issues
- Online archive of cover images
- The Delineator (49 issues) Canadiana by CRKN
- The Delineator ( 39 issues) at The Internet Archive
- The Delineator (5 issues), part of "An Online Exhibition of Canadian Dress: The Confederation Era (1840–1890)" at the Canadian Museum of History | Musée Canadien de l'Histoire
- The Delineator at The Winterthur Library (not digitized)
- The Delineator at the Metropolitan Museum of Art (not digitized)
- The Delineator at the Modern Literature & Culture Research Centre at Ryerson University (not digitized)