La sonrisa etrusca
|Author||José Luis Sampedro|
|Original title||La sonrisa etrusca|
La sonrisa etrusca ("The Etruscan Smile") is a bestselling novel written by the Spanish economist and author José Luis Sampedro in 1985. Originally, it was written in Spanish. The story was inspired by the birth of the author's grandson.
A tough old farmer from southern Italy takes pride in his time served as a partisan during World War II. Due to a serious medical condition, he must move in with his son and daughter-in-law in Milan. While disliking life in the northern city, the relations between the old man and his tender grandson evolve, transforming his life during his final days.
A film adaptation was released in 2019. It was produced by multiple Academy Award winner Arthur Cohn and directed by Oscar nominated filmmakers Oded Binnun and Mihal Brezis. It stars Brian Cox, Thora Birch, JJ Feild, Treat Williams, Rosanna Arquette and Peter Coyote. The film's score is composed by Frank Ilfman, and it is performed by the London Metropolitan Orchestra and orchestrated and conducted by Matthew Slater.
Several changes to the novel were made for the screenplay. Written by Michael McGowan, Michal Lali Kagan and Sarah Bellwood, the adaptation has changes such as the nationalities of the main character (Scottish) and his grandson (American) as well as the location where the old man moves (San Francisco). In the UK the film was released under the title Rory's Way.
- filmmusicreporter (October 11, 2016). "Frank Ilfman to Score 'The Etruscan Smile'". FilmMusicReporter.com. Retrieved December 9, 2016.
- "Rosanna Arquette and Brian Cox in The Etruscan Smile". RosannaArquette.com. Rosanna Arquette. March 9, 2016. Retrieved December 9, 2016.
- Pedersen, Erik (2016-01-28). "JJ Feild Joins 'The Etruscan Smile'; Netflix Sets Tony Robbins Documentary Bow". Deadline.com. Retrieved 2016-03-10.
- Balboa, Tony. "The Etruscan Smile - 2017". ComingSoon.net. Retrieved 2016-03-16.
- "Winter 2016 Newsletter". PeterCoyote.com. Coymoon Creations. February 27, 2016. Retrieved December 9, 2016.
- Rory's Way (The Etruscan Smile) (2019), retrieved 2019-08-17
|This article about a 1980s novel is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
See guidelines for writing about novels. Further suggestions might be found on the article's talk page.