|This article needs additional citations for verification. (February 2011) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Editor||Terry Martin (publisher)|
|Categories||Science fiction/horror anthology magazine|
|Publisher||The House of Murky Depths|
|First issue||September, 2007|
Murky Depths bylined as "The Quarterly Anthology of Graphically Dark Speculative Fiction" is a British horror and science fiction magazine which began publishing in 2007. The magazine editor-in-chief is Terry Martin and the editor is Anne Stringer. The magazine is published four times a year. It blends illustrated prose short stories with comic strips. Since Issue #3 it has featured a gloss laminated card cover, whereas Issue #1 and #2 covers were on the same paper stock as the contents. From Issue #7 the cover artwork has been wraparound. Its size is unusual for a magazine, being American comic book or graphic novel format. Murky Depths received the British Fantasy Awards Best Magazine/Periodical in 2010 and shortlisted for the same award in 2011.
The last issue of Murky Depths was published in September 2011 but the publishers, The House of Murky Depths (based in the village of Fosdyke in South Lincolnshire), continue to sell back issues.
Issues to date
- Murky Depths Issue #1 - September, 2007 - ISBN 978-1-906584-01-6
- Murky Depths Issue #2 - December, 2007 - ISBN 978-1-906584-02-3
- Murky Depths Issue #3 - March, 2008 - ISBN 978-1-906584-03-0
- Murky Depths Issue #4 - June, 2008 - ISBN 978-1-906584-04-7
- Murky Depths Issue #5 - September, 2008 - ISBN 978-1-906584-05-4
- Murky Depths Issue #6 - Winter, 2008 - ISBN 978-1-906584-10-8
- Murky Depths Issue #7 - Spring, 2009 - ISBN 978-1-906584-11-5
- Murky Depths Issue #8 - Summer, 2009 - ISBN 978-1-906584-12-2
- Murky Depths Issue #9 - Autumn, 2009 - ISBN 978-1-906584-14-6
- Murky Depths Issue #10 - Winter, 2009 - ISBN 978-1-906584-15-3
- Murky Depths Issue #11 - Spring, 2010 - ISBN 978-1-906584-18-4
- Murky Depths Issue #12 - Summer, 2010 - ISBN 978-1-906584-20-7
- Murky Depths Issue #13 - Autumn, 2010 - ISBN 978-1-906584-21-4
- Murky Depths Issue #14 - Winter, 2010 - ISBN 978-1-906584-23-8
- Murky Depths Issue #15 - Spring, 2011 - ISBN 978-1-906584-25-2
- Murky Depths Issue #16 - Summer, 2011 - ISBN 978-1-906584-26-9
- Murky Depths Issue #17 - Autumn, 2011 (print error: Summer, 2011 on back cover) - ISBN 978-1-906584-28-3
- Murky Depths Issue #18 - Winter, 2011 - ISBN 978-1-906584-29-0
Authors published by Murky Depths have included Robert Rankin, Jon Courtenay Grimwood, Stan Nicholls, Sam Stone, Eugie Foster, Richard Calder, Edward Morris, Edward M. Erdelac, Chris Huff, Matt Wallace, R. D. Hall, Mike Carey, Juliet E. McKenna, C. J. Carter-Stephenson and Lavie Tidhar. A comprehensive list is available at the Murky Depths website.
Murky Depths comic strip artists have included Robert Rankin, Luke Cooper, David Ryan, Lucas Hinchley, Richard Calder, Leonardo M. Giron and Neil Roberts. A comprehensive list is available at the Murky Depths website.
Murky Depths story illustrators have included Nancy Farmer, Ed Norden, Jason Beam, Glen James, James Fletcher, Mark Bell and Nathaniel Milljour. A comprehensive list is available at the Murky Depths website.
- Voted Best Magazine/Periodical in the British Fantasy Awards 2010
- Cover of Issue #4 by Vincent Chong shortlisted for BSFA Best Artwork 2008 
- "Looking In Looking Out" by Martin Deep nominated for BSFA Best Artwork 2007
- Shortlisted for Best Magazine/Periodical in the British Fantasy Awards 2011