The K&D Sessions
|The K&D Sessions|
|Compilation album (Mix album) by Kruder & Dorfmeister|
|Released||October 5, 1998|
|Kruder & Dorfmeister chronology|
The K&D Sessions is the second DJ mix compilation album by the Vienna-based duo Kruder & Dorfmeister. Released by Studio !K7 in 1998 to glowing reviews, the album features two original songs with the remixes.
The compilation album is a selection of remixes from the previous five years from either Richard Dorfmeister, Peter Kruder or the two together. The album also contains two original productions. Dorfmeister stated that they worked about two weeks on each remix. John Bush of Allmusic described the album's sound as " earthy, downtempo and acid-based, even more so than previous mix albums by the pair."
The K&D Sessions was released on October 5, 1998 in both a two compact disc set or a four vinyl record set by Studio !K7. On February 28, 1999, Kruder & Dorfmeister started on a ten city tour of North America to promote the album.
After the release and success of the album, the group received several requests to remix their music which they turned down. Dorfmeister stated that they had "felt like we'd already done it," and "I'd rather release nothing than something that is half and half...Perhaps we don't have so much output, but at least then we don't release some bullshit."
The K&D Sessions has received acclaim on its release. Spin gave the album an eight out of ten rating, praising the album as being more consistent than their DJ Kicks album, but that the album has "less scope and vibrancy". Spin later placed the album at number 19 on their list of top 20 albums of 1999. Spike Magazine gave the album a positive review stating that the album is "one of those albums that comes out of the blue, providing a whole bunch of surprises to make even the most jaded get excited about music again." Music database Allmusic gave the album five stars out of five, opining that "the impossibly deep beats on almost every track simply couldn't have been recorded by any other act" and referred to the music as "the most blissfully blunted music the world has ever heard."
NME gave the album a mixed review, feeling that the album was overlong, noting "does the world really need to own both their reappraisals of Bomb The Bass' 'Bug Powder Dust', even if the first one is a corker?" Pitchfork Media also noted the length of the album referring to the second disc as "thoroughly boring", but praising the album stating "a handful of the tracks on this sprawling two CD set demonstrate a mastery of rhythm unseen in DJ'd music since DJ Shadow bestowed upon us the gift of Endtroducing...... Out of the depths of their remix material's musical void, Kruder and Dorfmeister assemble organic downtempo triumphs which may alone be sufficient to perpetuate the otherwise trite brand of music currently labeled 'trip-hop.'"
- Roni Size - "Heroes (Kruder's Long Loose Bossa remixed by Peter Kruder)" – 6:30
- Alex Reece - "Jazz Master (K&D Session)" – 8:20
- Count Basic - "Speechless (Drum 'n' Bass remixed by Peter Kruder)" – 6:37
- Rockers Hi-Fi - "Going Under (K&D Session)" – 8:37
- Bomb The Bass - "Bug Powder Dust (K&D Session)" – 7:20
- Aphrodelics - "Rollin' On Chrome (Wild Motherfucker Dub remixed by Richard Dorfmeister)" – 5:39
- Depeche Mode - "Useless (K&D Session)" – 6:13
- Count Basic - "Gotta Jazz (remixed by Richard Dorfmeister)" – 5:32
- Rainer Trüby Trio - "Donaueschingen (Peter Kruder's Donaudampfschifffahrtsgesellschaftskapitänskajütenremix)" – 6:55
- Lamb - "Trans Fatty Acid (K&D Session)" – 8:33
- David Holmes - "Gone (K&D Session)" – 8:29
- Sofa Surfers - "Sofa Rockers (Richard Dorfmeister Remix)" – 4:30
- Mama Oliver - "Eastwest (Stoned Together resmoked by Richard Dorfmeister)" – 5:11
- Bomb The Bass - "Bug Powder Dust (Dub remixed by Kruder & Dorfmeister)" – 6:20
- Kruder & Dorfmeister - "Boogie Woogie" – 3:20
- Sin - "Where Shall I Turn (K&D Session Vol.2)" – 5:53
- Bone Thugs-n-Harmony - "1st Of Tha Month (K&D Session)" – 5:49
- Kruder & Dorfmeister - "Lexicon" – 1:06
- Knowtoryous - "Bomberclaad Joint (K&D Session)" – 3:47
- Rockers Hi-Fi - "Going Under (Evil Love and Insanity Dub remixed by Kruder & Dorfmeister)" – 4:30
- Strange Cargo - "Million Town (K&D Session)" – 7:32
- Clark, Taylor. "Kruder and Dorfmeister The K&D Sessions". Archived from the original on January 7, 2008. Retrieved September 8, 2012.
- Bush, John. "The K&D Sessions". Allmusic. All Media Guide. Retrieved 2011-06-15.
- "Kruder & Dorfmeister - The K&D Sessions™ - G-Stoned Recording". G-stoned.com. Retrieved September 8, 2012.
- Benson, Denise (November 2000). "Tosca's Groove Is In the Heart". Exclaim!. Retrieved September 8, 2012.
- Paoletta, Michael (March 1999). "Reviews". Billboard (Nielsen Business Media, Inc.) 111 (11): 38. Retrieved September 8, 2012.
- "The K&D Sessions". NME. October 27, 1998. Retrieved September 8, 2012.
- Jacob, Sally (February 1999). "Reviews". Spin (SPIN Media LLC) 15 (2): 112. Retrieved September 8, 2012.
- Rubin, Mike (January 2000). "Spin: The Year in Music 19999". Spin (SPIN Media LLC) 16 (1): 77. Retrieved September 8, 2012.
- Mitchell, Chris (November 1, 1999). "Kruder And Dorfmeister : The K&D Sessions". Spike Magazine. Retrieved September 8, 2012.