Hallstatt is a village in the Salzkammergut, a region in Upper Austria. It is located near the Hallstätter See. At the 2001 census it had 946 inhabitants.
Salt was a valuable resource, so the region was historically very wealthy. It is possible to tour the world's first known salt mine, located above downtown Hallstatt.
The village also gave its name to the early Iron Age Hallstatt culture and is a UNESCO World Heritage Site along with the Salzkammergut and Dachstein. Hallstatt is a popular tourist attraction owing to its small-town appeal and can be toured on foot in ten minutes.
||Civilization is a work of peaceful co-operation.
Wikinews Austria portal
- October 16: Austrian People's Party wins majority national election, Sebastian Kurz to become world's youngest national leader at 31
- December 24: Austrian cellist, conductor Heinrich Schiff dies
- December 7: PIA flight crashes near Havelian, Pakistan
- June 25: UEFA Euro 2016, day 13: Iceland-Austria, Hungary-Poland, Italy-Republic of Ireland and Sweden-Belgium
- June 19: UEFA Euro 2016, day 9: Belgium-Republic of Ireland, Iceland-Hungary, Portugal-Austria
- June 16: UEFA Euro 2016, days 4 and 5: three wins, two draws
- December 14: UEFA Euro 16 draw takes place in Paris
- October 22: Former Miss Austria Ena Kadic dies after mountain fall
- August 29: Four men go before Hungarian court after 71 found dead in lorry
- August 27: Austrian police find dozens dead inside lorry
Did you know...
- ... that the first record showing the name "Austria" is from 996 where it is written as Ostarrîchi, referring to the territory of the Babenberg March?
- ... that Austria currently produces more than half of its electricity by hydropower?
Things you can do
Here are some tasks you can do:
- Requests: Pfadfinderkorps Sankt Georg, Österreichischer Pfadfinderbund, Österreichischer Pfadfinderinnenbund, More...
- Expand: Battle of Santa Lucia, Dorfbeuern, Hans Enn, More...
- Sort: Oleh Hornykiewicz, Veliki Boč, Luminita Soare, More...
- Other: Johannes Swoboda (BLP cleanup needed), Austria-Hungary (needs attention in general), More...