|Directed by||Claude Goretta|
|Produced by||Lise Fayolle|
|Screenplay by||Claude Goretta|
|Based on||La Dentellière|
by Pascal Lainé
|Music by||Pierre Jansen|
|Edited by||Joële Van Effenterre|
|Distributed by||Jupiter Communications|
The Lacemaker (French: La Dentellière) is a 1977 French drama film directed by Claude Goretta and starring Isabelle Huppert and Yves Beneyton. It is based on the 1974 Prix Goncourt winning novel La Dentellière by Pascal Lainé.
In Paris, the shy and virginal Béatrice lives with her mother and works in a hairdressing salon, where her only friend is the lively Marylène. Left by her lover, Marylène suggests that the two girls take a holiday by the sea at Cabourg. There Marylène soon goes off with a new man, leaving Béatrice on her own.
Befriended by the shy student François, the two become lovers and Béatrice moves into his room in Paris. Though he introduces her to his well-off parents and his intellectual friends, she is unable to mix in their worlds. Her deep reserve begins to annoy him and they split up. Losing interest in life, she ends up in a mental hospital.
Full of remorse, François visits her but she wants nothing: she has found a quiet place that suits her inwardness. In her silent anonymity, she is like the unknown girls in paintings such as Vermeer's The Lacemaker.
- Isabelle Huppert as Pomme
- Yves Beneyton as François
- Florence Giorgetti as Marylène
- Annemarie Düringer as Pomme's mother (as Anne-Marie Düringer)
- Renate Schroeter as François' girlfriend (as Renata Schroeter)
- Michel de Ré as the painter
- Monique Chaumette as the mother of François
- Jean Obé as the father of François
- Christian Baltauss as Gérard
- Christian Peythieu
- Heribert Sasse
- Jeanne Allard
- Odile Poisson as the cashier
- Gilberte Géniat (as Gilberte Geniat)
- Sabine Azéma as Corinne (as Sabine Azema)
Awards and nominations
- BAFTA Awards (UK)
- Won: Most Promising Newcomer to Leading Film Roles (Isabelle Huppert)
- 1977 Cannes Film Festival (France)
- César Awards (France)
- Nominated: Best Actress – Leading Role (Isabelle Huppert)
- Nominated: Best Actress – Supporting Role (Florence Giorgetti)
- Nominated: Best Film
- David di Donatello Awards (Italy)
- Won: Best Foreign Actress (Isabelle Huppert)
The original soundtrack music composed by Pierre Jansen for La Dentellière was released on CD by Canadian label Disques Cinemusique.