The Last Guy
|The Last Guy|
|Developer(s)||Sony Computer Entertainment Japan|
|Publisher(s)||Sony Computer Entertainment Japan|
The Last Guy is a PlayStation Network title for the PlayStation 3. It is available as a downloadable game on the PlayStation Store. The game is a rescue game in which the eponymous player character must guide civilians to escape from monster-infested cities. On July 31, 2008, it was released in Japan. It was released in North America and Europe on August 28, 2008.
The Last Guy is played from a top-down perspective of a city that has been overrun by giant monsters, which the game refers to as "zombies". The player controls the titular The Last Guy, whose job is to find and lead stranded civilians to the escape zone before the time runs out, while evading enemy creatures. He can dash, manipulate the line of people following him, and use thermal imaging to find survivors. Over a twelve playable locations include cities from North America, Europe and Asia. Online features include a leaderboard for each city, a leaderboard for overall score, and counters that record the number of people rescued. Each city also hosts four VIPs which, when rescued, add bonus points to the final score and unlock additional bonus stages.
The Last Guy was rumored to use high-resolution satellite imagery from Google Earth to render real world cities, but this claim was later confirmed to be incorrect by the American producer of the game.
IGN's reviewer enjoyed the game, saying "The Last Guy is an outstanding title that's challenging, funny, and fresh." Gaming Target was positive, stating that The Last Guy "features just enough quirky and clever gameplay to be worth the $10" and later selecting the game for their list of "40 Games We'll Still Be Playing From 2008"
- Miller, Greg (2008-08-22). "The Last Guy Release Date and Price". IGN. Retrieved 2008-09-03.
- "The Last Guy - official Japanese page".
- Miller, Josh (2008-07-31). "The Last Guy Is Here To Rescue You". PlayStation.Blog. Retrieved 2008-09-03.
- Nelson, Randy (2008-07-21). "First video of The Last Guy". Joystiq. Retrieved 2008-09-03.
- Ashcraft, Brian (2008-08-05). "The Last Guy Review: Run From The Zombie Monsters!!". Kotaku. Retrieved 2008-09-03.
- Ashcraft, Brian (2008-07-09). "Sony Combines Zombies And... Google Earth". Kotaku. Retrieved 2008-09-03.
- "Last Guy, The (PS3:2008)". metacritic. Retrieved 2008-09-06.
- Miller, Greg (2008-08-27). "The Last Guy Review". IGN. Retrieved 2008-09-03.
- Valjean, Jon (2008-08-27). "The Last Guy". Game Planet. Retrieved 2008-09-06.
- "40 Games We'll Still Be Playing From 2008". Gaming Target.