The Long Dark Hall
|The Long Dark Hall|
U.S. theatrical poster
|Produced by||Peter Cusick|
|Written by||Nunnally Johnson|
|Based on||A Case to Answer
by Edgar Lustgarten
|Music by||Benjamin Frankel|
|Edited by||Tom Simpson|
Cusick International Films Inc.
|Distributed by||United Artists|
The Long Dark Hall is a 1951 British (Brit-noir), mystery, suspense, courtroom-drama, crime film directed by Reginald Beck and Anthony Bushell and starring Rex Harrison, Lilli Palmer and Raymond Huntley. It was based on a novel A Case to Answer by Edgar Lustgarten. It was made at Walton Studios.
- Rex Harrison - Arthur Groome
- Lilli Palmer - Mary Groome
- Tania Heald - Sheila Groome
- Henrietta Barry - Rosemary Groome
- Dora Sevening - Mary's mother
- Ronald Simpson - Mary's father
- Raymond Huntley - Chief Inspector Sullivan
- William Squire - Sergeant Cochran
- Ballard Berkeley - Superintendent Maxey
- Anthony Dawson - The Man
- Denis O'Dea - Sir Charles Morton
- Anthony Bushell - Clive Bedford
- Henry B. Longhurst - Judge
- Patricia Cutts - Rose Mallory
- Meriel Forbes - Marjorie Danns
- Brenda De Banzie - Mrs Rogers
- Douglas Jefferies - Dr. Conway
- Fletcher Lightfoot - Jury Foreman
- Anthony Shaw - Clerk of the Court
- Michael Medwin - Leslie Scott
- Colin Gordon - Pound
- Lionel Murton - Jefferson
- Eric Pohlmann - Mr Polaris
- Lilli Molnar - Mrs Polaris
- Frank Tickle - Alfred Tripp
- Tom Macaulay - Ironworks manager
- Richard Littledale - Mr Sims
- Jenny Laird - Mrs Sims
- Tony Quinn - Joe the barman
- Jill Bennett - First murdered girl
In The New York Times, Bosley Crowther wrote, "a very tidy murder drama arrived yesterday from England at the Rivoli Theater...An unusually literate and impressively acted film...It is English in setting and temperament, but international in its entertainment appeal. Thoughtful audiences should especially welcome this picture."
When asked to name his "worst picture", Rex Harrison replied: "My worst picture? The Long Dark Hall would have to be near the top of the list."
- "BFI | Film & TV Database | The LONG DARK HALL (1951)". Ftvdb.bfi.org.uk. 16 April 2009. Retrieved 5 April 2014.
- Crowther, Bosley (10 May 1951). "Movie Review - The Long Dark Hall". The New York Times. Retrieved 5 April 2014.
- Reid, John. These Movies Won No Hollywood Awards. LuLu Press. p. 101. Retrieved 15 April 2015.
|This article related to a British film of the 1950s is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This 1950s crime film-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|