The Millionaire's Wife
|Genre||True crime, Biography|
|Publisher||St. Martin's Press|
|March 27, 2012|
Published in English
|Media type||Print (paperback), eBook|
|Pages||256 pp (Paperback ed)|
The Millionaire's Wife: The True Story of a Real Estate Tycoon, his Beautiful Young Mistress, and a Marriage that Ended in Murder, by the author and journalist Cathy Scott, is a true crime account of the 1990 contract murder of George Kogan on an Upper East Side Manhattan street in broad daylight. The book was published for mass-market release by St. Martin's Press True Crime Library in March 2012.
Twenty years after George Kogan's murder, in July 2010, his estranged wife Barbara admitted to hiring a hit man to have her husband gunned down. She was sentenced to 12 to 36 years in prison.
The son of Holocaust survivors, 49-year-old George Kogan grew up in Puerto Rico before relocating to New York City, where he enjoyed success as an antiques and art dealer—until one morning in 1990 when George was approached on the street by a gunman identified by the prosecution as Paul Prosano and killed in cold blood.
Just before the shooting, George had been on the way to his girlfriends’s apartment. Mary-Louise Hawkins was 29 years old and had once worked as George’s publicist. George and his wife Barbara became estranged, and his wife Barbara became bitter. Barbara and George began negotiations for a divorce, part of which was to be $5,000 per week in alimony. A judge turned down her request.
Barbara, who stood to collect $4.3 million in life insurance, was immediately suspected in George’s death. But it would take authorities nearly 20 years to uncover the link between her lawyer, Manuel Martinez, and the hitman. In 2008, Martinez was convicted in the murder of George. In 2010, Barbara pleaded guilty to grand larceny, conspiracy to commit murder, and murder in the first degree.
The Big Thrill in an April 2012 review of the book and interview with the author, wrote, "Thriller novelists get to make stuff up, but a true crime writer must work with the facts." The article explores "(Scott's) writing process with The Millionaire's Wife and how it compares to authors of thriller fiction."
In July 2011, the author appeared on the "Susan Murphy-Milano Show" to talk about the Kogan case. In June 2012, Investigation Discovery aired a documentary about the Kogan case in its Behind Mansion Walls series titled "The Killer Inside" that included an interview of the author.
The Millionaire's Wife placed No. 3 in the True Crime Zine reader's poll for the Top 10 Best True Crime Books of 2012.
- Forbes.com, "They Negotiate at Jezebel," January 2012 (scroll down to announcement of book launch)
- New York Times "City Room," "Woman Sentenced for Having Husband Killed," June 4, 2010
- Huffington Post, "George Kogan Murder: Barbara Kogan Faces Sentencing In Real Estate Tycoon Husband's 1990 Hit Job," June 4, 2010
- New York Post, "Rich Widow's 'Slay Broker' Called to Testify in Mysterious '90 Case," March 23, 2008
- Amazon.com, Best Sellers in True Crime
- Amazon.com, Best Sellers in Murder and Mayhem
- The Big Thrill, "The Millionaire’s Wife by Cathy Scott," April 2012
- "The Susan Miurpny Milano Show Welcomes Author Cathy Scott," July 2011
- Investigation Discovery's "Behind Mansion Walls"
- Forbes.com, "Crime And Misdemeanors -- And The Millionaire's Wife," Jan. 22, 2012
- Juror in Black Widow Murder Case Gets Letter from Convicted Conspirator | NBC New York
- January 12, 2013 3:50 am (2013-01-04). "Best True Crime Books 2012 Winners List". True Crime Zine. Retrieved 2013-01-12.
- Book ‘Em Vol. 36 | Crime Magazine
- Books of Note | Crime Magazine