The Orchestra (app)
|Initial release||December 6, 2012|
"The Orchestra" is an iPad app developed and published by Touch Press in partnership with the Music Sales Group, Esa-Pekka Salonen and the Philharmonia Orchestra. The app features performances of eight works representing three centuries of symphonic music. It allows real-time selection of multiple video and audio tracks, along with an automatically synchronized score and graphical note-by-note visualization of each piece as it is played. The result is an immersive environment for exploring the music and every instrument in the orchestra. The app was chosen as Editors’ Choice in the App Store (iOS), and critics praised its scope and design. It was recently included in Apple’s “Your Verse” campaign, a global promotional campaign for the iPad featuring Esa-Pekka Salonen.
"The Orchestra" introduced a number of innovative features that have since become trademarks of Touch Press apps. The multi-camera video allows users to switch between different angles and sections of the orchestra. The BeatMap is an innovative visualization of the performances that shows different sections of the orchestra pulse in time with the music. The app also uses 3D rotational photography of the different instruments, a technique that Touch Press first brought to the iPad in 2010 with "The Elements."
"The Orchestra" received very positive reviews upon release, with Shane Richmond describing the app in a 5 star review for The Daily Telegraph as, “informative and also hypnotic,” and later stating, “With "The Orchestra," Touch Press has made what might be its first app that could not exist in any other form.” Slate called "The Orchestra," “a flat-out astounding new app,” and The Guardian described it as, “a fantastically immersive experience that creates…something new in the field of classical music interactivity.”
- "Esa-Pekka Salonen orchestrates a new sound". Apple. Retrieved 17 December 2014.
- Goldberg, Adam (4 August 2013). "Review: Using The Orchestra for iPad in the Music Classroom". Ask Audio. Archived from the original on 18 December 2014. Retrieved 17 December 2014.
- Richmond, Shane (6 December 2012). "iPad app: The Orchestra review". The Telegraph. Retrieved 17 December 2014.
- Walls, Seth Colter (21 December 2012). "The Perfect Classical Music App". Slate. Retrieved 17 December 2014.
- Service, Tom (7 December 2012). "The Orchestra: a new iPad app that strikes all the right notes". The Guardian. Retrieved 17 December 2014.