The Profession of Arms (2001 film)
|The Profession of Arms
(Il mestiere delle armi)
|Directed by||Ermanno Olmi|
|Produced by||Alexander Metodiev|
|Written by||Ermanno Olmi|
|Music by||Fabio Vacchi|
|Distributed by||A-Film Distribution|
|11 May 2001 (Italy)|
In autumn of 1526, the Emperor, Charles V, sends his German landsknechts led by Georg von Frundsberg to march towards Rome. The inferior papal armies, commanded by Giovanni de'Medici, try to chase them in the midst of a harsh winter. Nevertheless, the Imperial armies manage to cross the rivers along their march and get cannons thanks to the maneuvers of its Lords.
In a skirmish, Giovanni de'Medici is wounded in the leg by a falconet shot. The attempts to cure him fail and he dies. The Imperial armies assault Rome.
The film is beautifully but unassumingly set, and shows the hard conditions in which war is waged and its lack of glory. It ends straightforwardly with the declaration made after the death of Giovanni de'Medici by the commanders of the armies in Europe of not using again fire weapons because of their cruelty.
- Hristo Zhivkov - Joanni de Medici
- Sergio Grammatico - Federico Gonzaga
- Dimitar Ratchkov - Luc'Antonio Cuppano
- Fabio Giubbani - Matteo Cusastro
- Sasa Vulicevic - Pietro Aretino
- Desislava Tenekedjieva - Maria Salviati de Medici
- Sandra Ceccarelli - Nobildonna di Mantova
- Franco Andreani - Ambasciatore di Carlo V
- 9 David di Donatello Awards (Best Film - Best Director: Ermanno Olmi - Best Screenplay: Ermanno Olmi - Best Producer: Luigi Musini, Roberto Cicutto and Ermanno Olmi - Best Production Design: Luigi Marchione - Best Cinematography: Fabio Olmi - Best Costume Design: Francesca Sartori - Best Editing: Paolo Cottignola - Best Music: Fabio Vacchi)
- 3 Nastro d'Argento Prizes (Best Production Design: Luigi Marchione - Best Cinematography: Fabio Olmi - Best Costume Design: Francesca Sartori)
- Palme d'Or (nominated) - 2001 Cannes Film Festival
- "Festival de Cannes: The Profession of Arms". festival-cannes.com. Retrieved 2009-10-17.
|This article related to an Italian film of the 2000s is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This 2000s drama film–related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|