The Spear (novel)
The book deals with a neo-Nazi cult in Britain and an international conspiracy which includes a right-wing US general and a sinister arms dealer, and their obsession with resurrecting Heinrich Himmler through the occult.
In an earlier version of The Holy Blood and the Holy Grail/The Da Vinci Code lawsuit, Trevor Ravenscroft sued James Herbert claiming the novel infringed on his 1973 non-fiction book The Spear of Destiny. Herbert declined to pay Ravenscroft damages and eventually removed the offending content.
- Campbell, Ramsey, "James Herbert", in Joshi, S.T. (ed.) Ramsey Campbell, Probably. Hornsea, Drugstore Indian Press, ISBN 9781848639119 (pp. 272-73)
- 'No surprise' in Da Vinci judgement
- Ravenscroft v Herbert (1980) RPC 193
- Ravenscroft, Trevor (1982). The Spear of Destiny. Weiser Books. ISBN 0-87728-547-0.
- Nick Freeman (2006) 'A decadent appetite for the lurid'?: James Herbert, The Spear and 'Nazi Gothic'. Gothic Studies Volume 8 (2). 80-97.