The Tailor of Gloucester (film)
||This article may require cleanup to meet Wikipedia's quality standards. (November 2008)|
|The Tailor of Gloucester (film)|
|Directed by||John Michael Phillips|
This adaption tells the story of a poor tailor, his cat, and the mice that live in his shop. He has many scraps of cloth and ribbons left over that are too small for any practical use. The mice take these and make fine clothes for themselves.
The tailor sends his cat Simpkin to buy food and a twist of cherry-coloured silk for a coat the mayor has commissioned for his wedding, which will take place on Christmas morning.
While the cat is gone, he frees the mice from teacups where Simpkin has imprisoned them. When Simpkin returns and finds his mice gone, he hides the twist in anger.
When the tailor falls ill, the mice save the day by completing the coat. (One buttonhole remains incomplete because the mice run out of twist).
The building the story is set in is, externally at least, virtually unchanged from Beatrix Potter's time. It currently sells Beatrix Potter memorabilia and is based in Gloucester.
- Ian Holm as The Tailor of Gloucester
- Thora Hird as The Mayor's Housekeeper
- Jude Law as the Mayor's Stableboy
- Barry Ingham as the Mayor
- Other performers: Benjamin Luxon, Francois Testory
- Tailor of Gloucester, Studio: Carlton, VHS Release Date: 27 Sep 1993, Run Time: 45 minutes, Classification: U, ASIN: B00004CNMW