The Tattered Dress
|The Tattered Dress|
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Jack Arnold|
|Produced by||Albert Zugsmith|
|Screenplay by||George Zuckerman|
|Music by||Frank Skinner
|Cinematography||Carl E. Guthrie|
|Edited by||Edward Curtiss|
|Box office||$1.43 million (US rentals)|
In a California resort community, the wealthy Michael Reston is charged with the murder of a man he claimed attacked his wife, Charleen.
Reston hires a high-priced lawyer, James Gordon Blane, a man known to do anything it takes to win a case. Blane makes few friends in the community because the victim was a popular figure while the Restons are not popular with anyone. But his skillful cross-examination of a sheriff, Nick Hoak, results in Blane's client being found not guilty.
Hoak decides to get even. He claims to have evidence that Blane bribed a woman on the jury. Now it is Blane who goes on trial, with only his estranged wife, Diane, coming to his aid. While defending himself, Blane begins to feel remorse over having won acquittals for so many guilty clients.
Blane ultimately is vindicated when the juror, Carol Morrow, turns out to be romantically involved with Hoak, the sheriff. Enraged by the outcome, the sheriff watches Blane going down the Court-House steps. Standing in the shadows he draws his gun intent on murdering Blane in cold blood. He is stopped when Morrow gets some revenge of her own by shooting him. As she is arrested for her actions, the Blanes reconcile and leave town for good.
- Jeff Chandler as James Gordon Blane
- Jeanne Crain as Diane Blane
- Jack Carson as Sheriff Hoak
- Gail Russell as Carol Morrow
- George Tobias as Billy Giles
- Phillip Reed as Michael Reston
- Elaine Stewart as Charleen Reston
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to The Tattered Dress (film).|
- The Tattered Dress at the American Film Institute Catalog
- The Tattered Dress at the Internet Movie Database
- The Tattered Dress at AllMovie
- The Tattered Dress at the TCM Movie Database
- The Tattered Dress opening titles on YouTube