The Veils of Bagdad
|The Veils of Bagdad|
|Directed by||George Sherman|
|Produced by||Albert J. Cohen|
|Screenplay by||William R. Cox|
|Story by||William R. Cox|
|Edited by||Paul Weatherwax|
|Distributed by||Universal Pictures|
In 1560, Antar is sent by Selima, head of the Ottoman Empire, to prevent Pasha Hammam from attempting to overthrow the emperor.
Selima blames Hammam and his assassin Kasseim for the death of her father.
Kasseim's wife, Rosanna, falls in love with Antar, but he wants Selima for himself.
- Victor Mature as Antar
- Mari Blanchard as Selima
- Virginia Field as Rosanna
- Guy Rolfe as Kasseim
- Leon Askin as Hammam
- James Arness as Targut
- Palmer Lee as Osman
- Nick Cravat as Ahmed
- Ludwig Donath as Kaffar
- Howrd Petrie as Karsh
- Charles Arnt as Zapolya
- Jackie Loughery as Handmaiden
- Thomas Browne Henry as Mustapha
- David Sharpe as Ben Ali
- Sammy Stein as Abdallah
- Bobby Blake as Beggar boy
- Glenn Strange as Mik-Kel
- Charles Wagenheim as Bedouin spy
- Chester Hayes as Wrestler
- Thomas A. Renesto as Wrestler
- Hans Schnabel as Wrestler
- Vic Holbrook as Wrestler
- Russ Saunders Troupe as Acrobatic Act
The film was originally known as Prince of Bagdad and was based on an original story. In July 1952 Universal announced Victor Mature would star and Maureen O'Hara was his "likely" co-star. Victor Mature was borrowed from 20th Century Fox. He made it after completing The Glory Brigade and before The Robe - however release was held up until after The Robe had been released.
In October, George Sherman was assigned to direct.
Eventually Maureen O'Hara asked to be relieved of the assignment and her role was taken by Universal contract player Mari Blanchard.
- The Veils of Bagdad at TCMDB
- VEILS OF BAGDAD, The Monthly Film Bulletin; London Vol. 20, Iss. 228, (Jan 1, 1953): 179.
- Drama: Busy Victor Mature Named Bagadad Prince Los Angeles Times 15 July 1952: A6.
- METRO BARS LANZA FROM RADIO SHOWS: Studio Advises N. B. C. Tenor May Not Do Program Because of Contract Difficulties By THOMAS M. PRYOR Special to THE NEW YORK TIMES.. New York Times 22 Aug 1952: 12
- STUDIOS PLANNING 2 ALAN LADD FILMS: Warwick and Columbia to Join in Offering 'The Red Beret' and 'The White South' Special to THE NEW YORK TIMES15 July 1952: 17.
- MOVIELAND BRIEFS Los Angeles Times 15 Oct 1952: B8.
- NIVEN BUSCH GETS $40,000 FOR SCRIPT: Bernhard Buys 'Moonlighter' by Author Who Recently Completed New Novel By THOMAS M. PRYOR Special to THE NEW YORK TIMES 20 Oct 1952: 18.
- Italy Focus for 'Nina,' With Pier Angeli; Also for Paramount Tie-up Scheuer, Philip K. Los Angeles Times 1 Nov 1952: 13
- Scoutmaster Duty Now Likely for Webb; Lauren Bacall to Bait Tycoons Schallert, Edwin. Los Angeles Times 13 Dec 1952: 11
|Wikiquote has quotations related to: The Veils of Bagdad|
- The Veils of Bagdad at the American Film Institute Catalog
- The Veils of Bagdad on IMDb
- The Veils of Bagdad at the TCM Movie Database
- Veils of Bagdad at BFI
|This article about an adventure film is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|