The Very Thought of You (film)
|The Very Thought of You|
|Directed by||Delmer Daves|
|Produced by||Jerry Wald|
|Screenplay by||Alvah Bessie
|Based on||an original story by Lionel Wiggam|
|Music by||Franz Waxman|
|Edited by||Alan Crosland Jr.|
|Distributed by||Warner Bros.|
- For the 1998 British romantic comedy, see Martha, Meet Frank, Daniel and Laurence.
They meet two young women who work in a parachute factory. Cora (Faye Emerson) quickly catches Fixit's eye, while Janet (Eleanor Parker) remembers Dave from school days. Upon realizing that Dave has no family nearby, Janet invites him home for Thanksgiving dinner.
Her family does not treat him kindly. Janet's mother does not approve of getting involved with a military man who's away all the time. One reason for that is Janet's sister Molly (Andrea King), who is married to a sailor but seeing other men behind his back. Janet's brother, classified 4-F, is rude to Dave as well. Only her father makes their dinner guest feel welcome.
After a day at Mount Wilson runs long and causes them to be late getting Janet back home, but the couple can't bear to part, so Janet and Dave proceed to Cora's apartment and fall asleep. It is 3 a.m. when he takes her home, where Janet's mother slaps her. Dave must report for duty in San Diego, but is in love and marries Janet, enjoying a brief honeymoon. Molly disapproves and intercepts Dave's letters to Janet. Janet decides to move out and live in Cora's apartment.
But when news comes that Dave and Fixit have been wounded in the war, everyone in Janet's family finally relents. Molly even begs husband Fred (William Prince) for forgiveness and they reconcile. It takes months more, but Dave finally returns to rejoin his wife and meet their new baby boy.
- Dennis Morgan as Sergeant David Stewart
- Eleanor Parker as Janet Wheeler
- Dane Clark as Sergeant "Fixit" Gilman
- Faye Emerson as Cora Colton
- Beulah Bondi as Harriet Wheeler
- Henry Travers as Pop Wheeler
- William Prince as Fred
- Andrea King as Molly Wheeler
- John Alvin as Cal Wheeler
- Marianne O'Brien as Bernice
- Georgia Lee Settle as Ellie Wheeler
- Richard Erdman as Soda Jerk