The Voidz performing in 2014
|Also known as||Julian Casablancas+The Voidz (2013–2017)|
|Associated acts||The Sick Six, The Strokes, Whitestarr|
The Voidz (formerly Julian Casablancas+The Voidz) are an American rock band. They consist of Julian Casablancas (vocals), Jeramy "Beardo" Gritter (guitar), Amir Yaghmai (guitar), Jacob "Jake" Bercovici (bass, synthesizers), Alex Carapetis (drums), and Jeff Kite (keyboards). Their debut album was placed 50th in NMEs Top 50 Albums of 2014 list.
Formation, Tyranny (2013–2016)
Jeff Kite, Alex Carapetis and Jake Bercovici had all worked with Casablancas previously. Kite and Carapetis appeared as part of the Sick Six live band (which also featured Danielle Haim), that backed Casablancas when touring his first solo album, Phrazes for the Young. Kite and Carapetis, along with Bercovici, also worked on "I Like the Night", a song Casablancas recorded as part of an advertising campaign he fronted for the French fashion label, Azzaro. Casablancas enjoyed working with the band and chose to collaborate with other musicians, in a similar format to the Sick Six, when recording his next album. Casablancas, Carapetis, Bercovici, and Kite, along with mutual friends Jeramy Gritter and Amir Yaghmai formed The Voidz and began writing music together.
The band, then known as Julian Casablancas + The Voidz, signed to Casablancas' record label, Cult, and following an appearance at SXSW Festival, began touring the world throughout 2014 and 2015, playing a combination of festivals and headline shows, the former of which included the Lollapallooza festivals in Chile, Brazil, and Argentina, as well as Coachella, Festival Estéreo Picnic in Colombia, Governor's Ball in New York and Primavera Sound in Barcelona. The band's debut album, Tyranny, was released on September 23, 2014. The band's live sets generally consist of a mix between Casablancas' earlier solo songs, covers of Strokes songs written solely by Casablancas, Casablancas' collaborations with other artists (such as Daft Punk's Instant Crush and Sparklehorse & Danger Mouse's Little Girl) as well as their own original material from Tyranny and Virtue.
On December 8, 2017, the band announced Virtue, as well as their signing to RCA. On January 23, 2018, “Leave It In My Dreams,” the first single from their new album Virtue was released. Virtue was announced for release March 30, 2018, on Cult Records via RCA. On December 15, 2020, the band released a single titled "Alien Crime Lord" in promotion of the Cayo Perico Heist update of Grand Theft Auto Online.
- Julian Casablancas – lead vocals, vocoder, sampler, guitar (2013–present)
- Jeramy "Beardo" Gritter – guitar, keyboards (2013–present)
- Amir Yaghmai – guitar, keyboards (2013–present)
- Jacob "Jake" Bercovici – bass, synthesizers (2013–present)
- Alex Carapetis – drums, percussion, bass (2013–present)
- Jeff Kite – keyboards (2013–present)
- Studio albums
- ""Who Cares If Rock Is No Longer What It Was?" An Interview with Julian Casablancas". Noisey. October 19, 2017. Retrieved January 25, 2018.
- Gibsone, Harriet (March 26, 2014). "Julian Casablancas shares details of his new album with band the Voidz | Music". theguardian.com. Retrieved May 14, 2014.
- ""Can I VHS you?" - Julian Casablancas+The Voidz interview". YouTube. Retrieved May 14, 2014.
- "Julian Casablancas+The Voidz". Juliancasablancas.com. Archived from the original on June 5, 2014. Retrieved May 14, 2014.
- Nick Murray (June 23, 2014). "Julian Casablancas and the Voidz Plan New Album 'Tyranny'". Rolling Stone. Retrieved December 11, 2013.
- Kaufman, Gil. "Julian Casablancas & The Voidz Announce Name Change With 1980s Horror Spoof: Watch". Billboard. Retrieved December 9, 2017.
- Manno, Lizzie (January 25, 2018). "The Voidz Announce Details of "Eclectic" Forthcoming Album, Virtues". Paste Magazine.
- "The Voidz To Release New Album "Virtue" March 30 On Cult Records/RCA Records - Julian Casablancas-Directed Video For New Song "QYURRYUS" Out Today". RCA Records. January 25, 2018.