The Yellow Tape
|EP by Barenaked Ladies|
|Barenaked Ladies chronology|
The Yellow Tape is the Barenaked Ladies' third indie tape release, after Buck Naked in 1989 with just Ed Robertson and Steven Page, then Barenaked Lunch (also known as the Pink Tape) in 1990, with bassist Jim Creeggan and percussionist Andy Creeggan. It was recorded in 1991 at Wellesley Sound by Walter Sobczak in Toronto (except for "Be My Yoko Ono," which had been recorded earlier at Number 9 Audio Group).
It was originally recorded as a demo for the band's performance at South by Southwest. The Yellow Tape did very well, becoming the first indie tape to achieve platinum status in Canada. Although officially self-titled, it is commonly referred to as The Yellow Tape due to its yellow cover.
It was re-released by Cheree Records in CD and vinyl record formats as Barenaked Ladies in the United Kingdom. The UK release dropped the track "Fight the Power."
Early copies of the tape include an error in the J-card notes: drummer Tyler Stewart's name is misspelled as "Steward." It also includes a different address for the band's management.
In 1995, the band's Shoe Box E.P. single featured this recording of "If I Had $1000000," listed officially as "Yellow Tape Version," indicating the band themselves refer to this release by its common name.
|1.||"Be My Yoko Ono"||Steven Page||2:59|
|2.||"Brian Wilson" (Steven Page)||Steven Page||4:49|
|3.||"Blame It on Me"||Steven Page||3:49|
|4.||"If I Had $1000000"||Steven Page, Ed Robertson||3:49|
|5.||"Fight the Power" (Chuck D, Eric Sadler, Keith Shocklee, Hank Shocklee)||Steven Page, Ed Robertson||1:33|
- Andy Creeggan - congas, vocals
- Jim Creeggan - double bass, vocals
- Steven Page - vocals, guitar
- Ed Robertson - guitar, vocals
- Tyler Stewart - drums
- Barenaked Ladies - production
- Gary Fishman - engineering (track 1)
- Walter Sobezak - engineering (tracks 2-5)
- Jim Creeggan, Kevin Hearn, Steven Page, Ed Robertson, Tyler Stewart (2004). The Barenaked Truth (bonus interviews) (DVD). Take 3 Productions/Casablanca Media Television.
- Moll, George (executive producer) (2000). Behind the Music (TV-series). New York, NY: VH1.
- Myers, Paul (2003-09-16). Barenaked Ladies: Public Stunts, Private Stories. Simon and Schuster. p. 74. ISBN 9780743238359. Retrieved 24 May 2012.