It's All Been Done
|"It's All Been Done"|
|Single by Barenaked Ladies|
|from the album Stunt|
|Released||February 23, 1999|
|Format||CD, 7", 12", cassette|
|Producer(s)||Barenaked Ladies, David Leonard, Susan Rogers|
|Barenaked Ladies singles chronology|
Steven Page apparently wrote this song after being embarrassed at how "wordy" his song "Brian Wilson" was. He decided he wanted to write something with a simple phrase like "woo hoo hoo" in the chorus.
The song was successful in Canada, peaking at No. 1 on the Canadian Singles Chart. Although not as internationally popular as their previous single, "One Week", the song was used as the theme song for the television series Baby Blues. The song is also notable for being one of the band's first to feature an electric guitar solo by Ed Robertson.
The band performed the song on Saturday Night Live, Late Night with Conan O'Brien and The Tonight Show with Jay Leno. On The Tonight Show, actor David Duchovny, who had appeared as a guest earlier in the program, joined the band for the song in the musical segment, playing an egg shaker. The band had arranged it with the actor after an impromptu meeting a week earlier while shooting a television guest appearance at a studio lot.
The video was directed by Doug Aitken and was filmed in the former house of comedian Andrew Dice Clay. The concept of the video was that it was seen from the point of view of various household pets (a cat, a dog, a goldfish, and a bird). Robertson was disappointed with the filming of the video while it was being shot, as he did not feel it was capturing the feeling of the concept.
The video features a bald Kevin Hearn, as he was undergoing chemotherapy. He plays a Honer Clavinet.
- "It's All Been Done" (album version)
- "Brian Wilson" (live version from Rock Spectacle)
- "The Old Apartment" (live version from Rock Spectacle)
- Steven Page - lead vocals, acoustic and electric guitars
- Ed Robertson - acoustic and electric guitars, backing vocals
- Jim Creeggan - electric bass, backing vocals
- Kevin Hearn - keyboards, backing vocals
- Tyler Stewart - drums, percussion, backing vocals
- Natasha Hébert - "Parlez Français"
- Tom Lord-Alge - mixing
- "Top Singles - Volume 68, No. 13, January 11, 1999". RPM. Retrieved 2010-10-17.
- "Image : RPM Weekly - Library and Archives Canada". Retrieved 27 February 2018.
- "Barenaked Ladies - It's All Been Done". GfK Entertainment. Retrieved 27 February 2018.
- "Official Scottish Singles Sales Chart Top 100". Official Charts Company. Retrieved 27 February 2018.
- "Official Singles Chart Top 100". Official Charts Company. Retrieved 27 February 2018.
- "Barenaked Ladies Chart History (Hot 100)". Billboard. Retrieved 27 February 2018.
- "Barenaked Ladies Chart History (Adult Pop Songs)". Billboard. Retrieved 27 February 2018.
- "Barenaked Ladies Chart History (Alternative Songs)". Billboard. Retrieved 27 February 2018.
- "Barenaked Ladies Chart History (Pop Songs)". Billboard. Retrieved 27 February 2018.
- "Top Singles - Volume 70, No. 8, December 13, 1999". RPM. December 13, 1999. Retrieved February 9, 2016.