Theodora Lisle Prankerd
|Theodora Lisle Prankerd|
|Born||21 June 1878
|Died||11 November 1939
|Parent(s)||Orlando Reeves Prankerd, Clementina Soares|
Theodora Lisle Prankerd (21 June 1878 – 11 November 1939) was a British botanist.
Theodora Lisle Prankerd was born in Hackney, London, the daughter of general practitioner Orlando Reeves Prankerd and his second wife, Clementina Soares. She attended Brighton High School and studied botany Royal Holloway, University of London, graduating with 2nd Class Honours in 1899. In 1912 she became a part-time Reader in Botany at Birkbeck College, London, and in 1917 was appointed Reader in Botany at the University of Reading, where she lectured until her death. She gained her Doctor of Sciences degree from the University of London in 1929. Between 1922 and 1936 she published a series of pioneering studies in the growth of ferns in response to gravity (geotropism). Although she was credited with all the research and authorship of the published papers, her work was presented at various scientific meetings by male colleagues.
- Prankerd, T. L. (1911), On the Structure and Biology of the Genus Hottonia. Annals of Botany os-25 (1): 253-268.view extract on publisher's website
- Prankerd, T. L. (1912), On the Structure of the Palæozoic Seed Lagenostoma ovoides, Will. Journal of the Linnean Society of London, Botany, 40: 461–490. doi:10.1111/j.1095-8339.1912.tb00880.x view extract
- Prankerd, T. L. (1915), Notes on the Occurrence of Multinucleate Cells. Annals of Botany os-29 (4): 599-604. view extract on publisher's website
- PRANKERD, T. L., Preliminary observations on the nature and distribution of the statolith apparatus in plants. Rep. Brit. Ass., Manchester Meeting, 1915, p. 722, Publ. London, 1916
- Prankerd, T. L. (1920), Statocytes of the Wheat Haulm. Botanical Gazette 70(2): 148-152 view on JSTOR
- Prankerd, T. L. (1922), On the Irritability of the Fronds of Asplenium bulbiferum, With Special Reference to Graviperception. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 93(650): 143-152; doi:10.1098/rspb.1922.0010 view full text
- Prankerd, T. L. (1925), The Ontogeny of Graviperception in Osmunda regalis. Annals of Botany os-39 (4): 709-720. view extract on publisher's website
- Prankerd, T. L. (1929), Studies in the Geotropism of Pteridophyta. IV. On Specificity in Graviperception. Journal of the Linnean Society of London, Botany, 48: 317–336. doi:10.1111/j.1095-8339.1929.tb00590.x view abstract
- Prankerd, T. L. (1935), Studies in the Geotropism of the Pteridophyta. V. Some Effects of Temperature on Growth and Geotropism in Asplenium bulbiferium. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 116(800): 479-493 doi:10.1098/rspb.1935.0004 view full text
- Prankerd, T. L. (1936), Studies in the Geotropism of Pteridophyta. VI. On Rhythm in Graviperception and Reaction to Gravity. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 120(817): 126-141 view full text
- University of London. "The historical record (1836-1912) being a supplement to the Calendar completed to September 1912". Retrieved 21 October 2012.
- "London Gazette" (PDF). 26 April 1940. p. 2511. Retrieved 21 October 2012.