Theophilus Siegfried Bayer
|This article is an orphan, as no other articles link to it. Please introduce links to this page from ; try the Find link tool for suggestions. (May 2015)|
Theophilus (Gottlieb) Siegfried Bayer(1694–1738), was a German classical scholar with specialization in Sinology. He was a Sinologist and professor of Greek and Roman Antiquities at St Petersburg Academy of Sciences between 1726 and 1737.
Bayer was a native of Königsberg, East Prussia. His father Johann Friedrich was from the German Protestant minority in Hungary, but had moved to East Prussia where he worked as a painter. The youthful T. S. Bayer was an excellent student at the University of Königsberg, studying Latin, Greek and Hebrew. He was a Rector of the Königsberg Cathedral from 1721 to 1726, and also worked as a librarian at the Königsberg Public Library.
It appears, he had his own library with huge collection of manuscripts, Chinese, and other Oriental books. His collection in his library had more than 200 books and manuscripts including:
- Telugu and Tamil Palm-leaf manuscripts.
- Oriental history and philology related notes.
- Correspondence with Jesuits in Peking.
After his death in Saint Petersburg his widow handed over his books and papers to the Academy authorities, receiving the rest of her husband's pay due that year. The library was later sold, to a Lutheran pastor in London,Heinrich Walter Gerdes. William Hunter later purchased those collection from Mrs.Gerdes. These collections finally reached University of Glasgow in 1807 with a brief stay in London at Dr Matthew Baillie, nephew of William Hunter.
|This section needs expansion. You can help by adding to it. (January 2012)|
- Historia regni Graecorum bactriani [A History of the Kingdom of the Bactrian Greeks].
- Manuscript in Latin and Chinese.
- De Eclipsi Sinica published in 1718.
- Museum sinicum, a two-volume, compendium of materials on the Chinese language published in 1730.
- "De Eclipsi Sinica, frontispiece". sciencephoto.com. ROYAL ASTRONOMICAL SOCIETY/SCIENCE PHOTO LIBRARY. Retrieved January 29, 2012.
- "Manuscripts - Name Details - Name: Theophilus Gottlieb Siegfried Bayer". special.lib.gla.ac.uk. University of Glasgow. Retrieved January 29, 2012.
- Lundbaek, Knud T. S. Bayer(1694-1738) Pioneer Sinologist London 1986 p.12 ISBN 0700701893
- Lundbaek, Knud T. S. Bayer(1694-1738) Pioneer Sinologist London 1986 p.13 ISBN 0700701893
- Lundbaek, Knud T. S. Bayer(1694-1738) Pioneer Sinologist London 1986 p.209 ISBN 0700701893
- "Bayer Collection". gla.ac.uk. University of Glasgow. Retrieved January 29, 2012.
- "GB 0247 MS Hunter B - Collection". special.lib.gla.ac.uk. University of Glasgow. Retrieved January 29, 2012.
- "A Russian Academician Documents Ancient Neighbors". russia.nypl.org. The New York Public Library. Retrieved January 29, 2012.
- "Globus Coelestis Sinicus Explicatus". gla.ac.uk. University of Glasgow. Retrieved January 29, 2012.
- "THE UNIVERSITY OF CHICAGO LIBRARY 1991 - T. S. Bayer published at St. Petersburg in 1730 his two-volume Museum sinicum". uchicago.edu.
- Christie?s. "BAYER, Theophilus (Gottlieb) Siegfried (1694-1738). 'Museum Sinicum, in quo Sinicae Linguae et Litteratura ratio explicator... Petropoli, Ex Typographia Academiae Imperatoriae Anno 1730'.". christies.com.
- Transferring linguistic knowledge from Asia to Europe. T. S. Bayer’s reception of Indian missionary grammars.
- T.S. Bayer (1694-1738). Pioneer Sinologist (Scandinavian Institute of Asian Studies Monograph Series 54) (London 1986).
- T.S. Bayer, 1694-1738 : pioneer sinologist - Author: Knud Lundbæk
- Manuscripts - Collections relating to Theophilus Gottlieb Siegfried Bayer
- Visitors from Guangxhou, China - The tour was rounded off with a visit to Special Collections to view a display of Chinese material which included part of the collection of Theophilus Gottlieb Siegfried Bayer (1694-1738), sinologist.