Thomas Y. Crowell Co.
|This article does not cite any references or sources. (December 2009)|
|Founder||Thomas Y. Crowell|
|Successor||Harper & Row|
|Country of origin||United States|
Thomas Y. Crowell Co. was a publishing company founded by Thomas Y. Crowell. The company began as a bookbindery founded by Benjamin Bradley in 1834. Crowell operated the business after Bradley's death in 1862 and eventually purchased the company from Bradley's widow in 1870.
In 1909, after Thomas Y. Crowell died, T. Irving Crowell became the company's president. Then in 1937, after T. Irving Crowell retired, the third generation Robert L. Crowell took over and moved towards publishing trade books and biographies. They were sold to Dun & Bradstreet in 1968.
- Works of Washighton Irving
- Roget's Thesaurus International
- The Dictionary of Business and Finance
- a Social Studies Series
- The Radio Amateur's Handbook (at least 1964-1970)
- Benet's Reader's Encyclopedia
- The Soldiers' Diary and Note Book, revised edition
- Frank Heller detective/mystery series,
- Eight books in the Nine to Twelve Series for older children
- The Children of the Valley by Harriet Prescott Spofford
- Little Dick's Son by Kate Gannett Wells
- Marcia & the Major by J.L. Harbour
- Song of the Bell by Friedrich Schiller
- How Dexter Paid His Way by Kate Upson Clark
- The Flatiron and the Red Cloak by Abby Morton Diaz
- In the Poverty Year by Marian Douglas
- Little Sky-High by Hezekiah Butterworth
- The Little Cave-Dwellers by Ella Farman Pratt
- The Poetical Works of John Milton by John Milton
- Westward the Sun by Brigid Knight (1942)
- The Betsy-Tacy books by Maud Hart Lovelace
- "Jed - A Boy's Adventure in the Army of 61-65 - A Story of Battle and Prison, of Peril and Escape" by Warren Lee Goss
- "Poems, Plays and Essays" of Oliver Goldsmith, M.B.
- "Poems: 'Longfellow's Early Poems" by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
- Poems:Selections From The Poetical Works of Robert Browning Second Series
- "Poems: 'The Courtship of Miles Standish'" by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
- "Poems: 'The Complete Poetical Works of Robert Burns" © 1900
- "Poems: 'Idylls of the King' by Alfred Lord Tennyson (1885)
- Faust: A Tragedy. by Goethe, Ed. F.H. Hedge, D.D.
- Cranford by Mrs. Gaskell
- Ivanhoe: A Romance, by Sir Walter Scott, Bart., 1898 (illustrated by Allan Stewart)