A Thousand Days' Promise
|A Thousand Days' Promise|
|Also known as||A Promise of a Thousand Days|
|Written by||Kim Soo-hyun|
|Directed by||Jung Eul-young|
|Country of origin||South Korea|
|No. of episodes||20|
|Running time||Mondays and Tuesdays at 21:55 (KST)|
|Original network||Seoul Broadcasting System|
|Original release||17 October– 20 December 2011|
|Preceded by||Warrior Baek Dong-soo|
|Followed by||History of the Salaryman|
|A Thousand Days' Promise|
|Revised Romanization||Cheonileu yaksok|
|McCune–Reischauer||Ch‘ŏnil ŭi yaksok|
A Thousand Days' Promise (Hangul: 천일의 약속; RR: Cheonileu yaksok) is a 2011 South Korean traditional melodrama about a woman (Soo Ae) who is losing her memory and the loving man (Kim Rae-won) who stands by her side. Written by famed drama writer Kim Soo-hyun, it aired on SBS from October 17 to December 20, 2011 on Mondays and Tuesdays at 21:55 for 20 episodes.
Lee Seo-yeon, a free-spirited woman, is having a secret affair with Park Ji-hyung, an architect who has a fiancée. Upon hearing that Ji-hyung's parents set the date for his wedding, Seo-yeon splits up with him. But she has no time to lament over her painful breakup, as she gets diagnosed with early on-set Alzheimer's, a very unlikely disease for a 30-year-old woman. Ji-hyung happens to learn the shocking fact, and he breaks off his engagement only two days before the wedding to return to his ex-girlfriend. Despite vehement opposition from his parents and even from Seo-yeon herself, he never gives up on her and marries her without delay. The doting husband is devoted to taking care of his ailing wife, who is losing her ability to remember. Despite her distressing condition, the couple tries to hang on to love and experience it to the end. They have a baby girl and find happiness in their married life from time to time, even though both are well aware that a tragic end awaits them.
- Soo Ae as Lee Seo-yeon
- Han Bo-bae as young Seo-yeon
- Kim Rae-won as Park Ji-hyung
- Lee Sang-woo as Jang Jae-min, Seo-yeon's cousin
- Jeong Yu-mi as Noh Hyang-gi
- Park Yu-hwan as Lee Moon-kwon, Seo-yeon's brother
- Oh Mi-yeon as Seo-yeon's aunt
- Kim Hae-sook as Kang Soo-jung, Ji-hyung's mother
- Lee Mi-sook as Oh Hyun-ah, Hyang-gi's mother
- Moon Jung-hee as Jang Myung-hee, Seo-yeon's cousin
- Im Chae-moo as Park Chang-joo, Ji-hyung's father
- Park Yeong-gyu as Noh Hong-gil, Hyang-gi's father
- Yoo Seung-bong as Seo-yeon's uncle-in-law
- Jung Joon as Cha Dong-chul, Myung-hee's husband
- Yang Han-yeol as Myung-hee's son
- Kim Boo-seon as Seo-yeon's biological mother
- Jang Hyun-sung as Seo-yeon's doctor
- Song Chang-eui as Noh Young-soo, Hyang-gi's brother
- Alex Chu as Son Suk-ho, Ji-hyung's friend
- Oh Kyung-soo as Seo-yeon's editor-in-chief
- Title: 천일의 약속 OST / A Thousand Days' Promise
- Artist: Various Artists
- Language: Korean
- Release Date: 2011-Nov-29
- Number of Tracks: 15
- Publisher: KT Music (KT뮤직)
- Agency: Yeinmoonhwa (예인문화)
- Track Listing
|1.||It Hurts Here (Ver. 1)
여기가 아파 (Ver. 1)
|2.||Like Words Being Said for the First Time
처음 하는 말처럼
|6.||It Hurts Here (Ver. 2)
여기가 아파 (Ver. 2)
|7.||Pain (Main Title)||Various Artists|
|10.||Time of Solitude
|15.||Smile Again||Various Artists|
|2011-10-17||01||12.1% (8th)||14.8% (3rd)|
|2011-10-18||02||13.0% (7th)||16.2% (4th)|
|2011-10-24||03||14.3% (7th)||16.8% (4th)|
|2011-10-25||04||14.9% (3rd)||17.2% (3rd)|
|2011-10-31||05||14.9% (3rd)||17.3% (3rd)|
|2011-11-01||06||16.4% (3rd)||19.4% (3rd)|
|2011-11-07||07||15.8% (3rd)||19.3% (1st)|
|2011-11-08||08||16.9% (4th)||19.5% (2nd)|
|2011-11-14||09||15.8% (4th)||19.0% (2nd)|
|2011-11-15||10||16.2% (4th)||19.4% (2nd)|
|2011-11-21||11||15.2% (3rd)||17.7% (3rd)|
|2011-11-22||12||15.7% (3rd)||19.0% (2nd)|
|2011-11-28||13||14.6% (4th)||17.6% (3rd)|
|2011-11-29||14||14.4% (5th)||18.2% (3rd)|
|2011-12-05||15||14.1% (4th)||17.1% (3rd)|
|2011-12-06||16||15.0% (4th)||18.5% (3rd)|
|2011-12-12||17||14.7% (3rd)||18.4% (3rd)|
|2011-12-13||18||15.4% (4th)||18.5% (3rd)|
|2011-12-19||19||15.7% (1st)||19.3% (1st)|
|2011-12-20||20||19.6% (2nd)||23.5% (1st)|
Source: TNmS Media Korea
Awards and nominations
||Best Drama||A Thousand Days' Promise||Nominated|
|Top Excellence Award, Actor in a Special Planning Drama||Kim Rae-won||Won|
|Top Excellence Award, Actress in a Special Planning Drama||Soo Ae||Won|
|Excellence Award, Actor in a Special Planning Drama||Lee Sang-woo||Nominated|
|Excellence Award, Actress in a Special Planning Drama||Jeong Yu-mi||Nominated|
|Special Acting Award, Actress in a Special Planning Drama||Lee Mi-sook||Won|
|New Star Award||Jeong Yu-mi||Won|
|Top 10 Stars||Soo Ae||Won|
||Best Actress (TV)||Soo Ae||Nominated|
|Best New Actor (TV)||Park Yu-hwan||Nominated|
|Best New Actress (TV)||Jeong Yu-mi||Nominated|
||Best Screenwriter||Kim Soo-hyun||Nominated|
||Top Excellence Award, Actress||Soo Ae||Nominated|
|Best New Actor||Park Yu-hwan||Nominated|
- Channel: MRTV
- Currently airing
- Channel: RTM2
- Aired October 9, 2012
- Channel: ABS-CBN
- Aired May 27, 2013
- A Moment to Remember, a 2004 South Korean film in which the female protagonist has early-onset Alzheimer's.
- Oh, Jean (11 October 2011). "Kim Rae-won returns in melodramatic sob fest". The Korea Herald. Retrieved 2012-11-18.
- Han, Yeo-wool (17 October 2011). "PREVIEW: SBS TV series Thousand Days Promise". 10Asia. Retrieved 2012-11-18.
- "A Thousand Days' Promise". KBS World. Retrieved 2012-07-11.
- "Fear No Barrier for Actress Su-ae After All". The Chosun Ilbo. 7 January 2012. Retrieved 2012-11-18.
- Hong, Lucia (12 October 2011). "Kim Rae-won says melodramas are a new genre for him". 10Asia. Retrieved 2012-11-18.
- Lee, In-kyung (4 January 2012). "Interview: Jung Yu Mi is More Like Hyang Gi Than She Realizes". enewsWorld. Retrieved 2012-11-18.
- Kim, Jessica (4 January 2012). "Jung Yu-mi: I was told Hyang-gi is like the dew that trickles down the petal of a lotus flower". 10Asia. Retrieved 2012-11-18.
- Lee, Ga-on (28 December 2011). "INTERVIEW: Actor Park Yu-hwan". 10Asia. Retrieved 2012-11-18.
- Lee, Ga-on (28 December 2011). "Park Yu-hwan: I thought of a lot of my memories of me and my brother for filming Thousand Days Promise". 10Asia. Retrieved 2012-11-18.
- Kim, Jessica (2 January 2012). "Han Suk-kyu reclaims glory at SBS Drama Awards". 10Asia. Retrieved 2014-01-31.
- Lee, Kyung-nam (25 April 2012). "Park Yoo Chun and Park Yoo Hwan Both Nominated for Paeksang Arts Award". enewsWorld. Retrieved 2013-01-16.