April 2, 1960|
North Chungcheong Province, South Korea
|Education||Korea University - Graduate School of Journalism and Mass Communication|
(m. 1987; div. 2007)
|Revised Romanization||I Mi-suk|
Lee Mi-sook (born April 2, 1960) is a South Korean actress. One of the best-known actresses of 1980s Korean cinema, Lee's most famous films from this era include Bae Chang-ho's Whale Hunting and The Winter That Year Was Warm, Lee Doo-yong's Mulberry and Eunuch, and Kwak Ji-kyoon's Wanderer in Winter. She retired from film after getting married in 1987, though she still appeared on television in dramas such as How's Your Husband? (1993). Then a decade later, Lee made her comeback with an award-winning leading role in E J-yong's feature debut An Affair (1998). She has since remained active in film and television, notably in the May–December romance Solitude (2002), the Dangerous Liaisons adaptation Untold Scandal (2003), the mockumentary Actresses (2009), and the family dramas Smile, Mom (2010)
Lee Mi-sook debuted in film at the age of twenty in Thoughtless Momo in 1979. By the mid-1980s she had become one of the best-known actresses of her era. Together with Lee Bo-hee and Won Mi-kyung, they dominated the screen and were referred to as the "Troika of the 1980s." Her most famous films from this era include Bae Chang-ho's Whale Hunting and The Winter That Year Was Warm, Lee Doo-yong's Mulberry and Eunuch, and Kwak Ji-kyoon's Wanderer in Winter. Her early career lasted until the film Love Triangle in 1987, and then she retired from the cinema after getting married.
Over ten years later, in 1998, Lee returned with a widely praised role in E J-yong's award-winning film An Affair, about a woman who falls in love with her sister's fiance. Using this film as a springboard, she re-launched her career.
In 2000, Lee was cast in the high-profile project The Legend of Gingko, which was considered to be production company Kang Je-gyu Film's followup to the successful Shiri (even though Kang himself was not directing). However the film proved to be a critical and commercial disappointment. Lee's next two films, Kiss Me Much and Oh! Lala Sisters, were also more or less ignored by audiences. In contrast, her appearances in TV dramas such as Solitude (2002) were more successful.
However, 2003 was one of Lee's best years, with her highly praised role in E J-yong's Untold Scandal, a retelling of the novel Dangerous Liaisons set in the Joseon Dynasty, and her role as a single mother in Lee Eon-hee's well-received melodrama ...ing.
Lee next starred in Hellcats, a 2008 romantic comedy that traces the lives and loves of three characters at different stages of womanhood. Then in 2009 Lee reunited with E J-yong in Actresses, a semi-improvisational mockumentary featuring six actresses each playing themselves.
In 2011, Lee launched her own lingerie line Starit, which was sold on home shopping channels. This would've been virtually unheard of in previous years with the fashion industry's historically narrow focus on young women. But since 2008 the sophisticated and stylish image of actresses such as Lee, Choi Myung-gil and Kim Hee-ae became aspirational for middle-aged women in Korea, and brands specifically targeting women in their 40s and 50s have increased. Lee remains a favorite in editorial spreads in fashion magazines, notably a 2010 Elle Korea feature opposite pop star TOP.
Lee continued to act on television, giving a vulgar, selfish, but human spin to her role as the stepmother in Cinderella's Sister, a ratings hit in 2010. 2012's Love Rain, a Yoon Seok-ho melodrama that jumps between the 1970s and the present, inked overseas distribution deals, but was unsuccessful domestically.
After a judging stint on reality acting talent program Miracle Audition, Lee hosted the cable talk show Bad Scene, which featured celebrities who reveal bad or embarrassing scenes from their past.
In 2012, Lee was embroiled in a controversy when she was sued by her former agency, The Contents Media, after she moved to a new agency, Hoya Spotainment. The Seoul High Court ruled that Lee was guilty of breach of contract and ordered her to pay ₩120 million (US$110,604) in damages. However, The Contents Media filed an appeal, stating that the agency was owed at least double the amount. They alleged that Lee had been involved in a romantic relationship with a man 17 years her junior in 2006, whom they claimed to have paid off in millions of won to keep him from talking to the press and tarnishing Lee's image. Lee counter-sued The Contents Media and the two reporters who broke the story for defamation. Lee lost her appeal in February 2013, and the Seoul High Court ruled for her to pay the amount in the original ruling.
In 2007, Lee and her husband Hong Sung-ho, a plastic surgeon, divorced after 20 years of marriage. They have a son and a daughter.
*Note; the whole list is referenced.
|Year||English title||Korean title||Romanization||Role||Director|
|2018||Ode to the Goose||군산: 거위를 노래하다||Gunsan: Geowileul Nolaehada||Zhang Lü|
|2015||The Exclusive: Beat the Devil's Tattoo||특종: 량첸살인기||Teukjong: Ryangchensalingi||News bureau head Baek||Roh Deok|
|2013||Horny Family||배꼽||Bae Kkop||Hye-kyung||Park Bo-sang|
|2009||Actresses||여배우들||Yeobaeudeul||Lee Mi-sook||E J-yong|
|2008||Hellcats||뜨거운 것이 좋아||Ddeu-geo-woon Geot-e Jo-a||Kim Young-mi||Kwon Chil-in|
|2003||Untold Scandal||스캔들 - 조선남녀상열지사||Seukaendeul: Joseon-namnyeo-sangnyul-jisa||Lady Cho||E J-yong|
|2002||Oh! LaLa Sisters||울랄라 씨스터즈||Ulralra Siseuteojeu||Jo Eun-ja||Park Jae-hyun|
|2001||Kiss Me Much||베사메무쵸||Besame Mucho||Young-hee||Jeon Yoon-soo|
|2000||The Legend of Gingko||단적비연수||Danjeokbiyeonsu||Soo||Park Jae-hyun|
|1998||An Affair||정사 정사||Jeongsa||Seo-hyun||E J-yong|
|1987||The Home of Two Women||두 여자의 집||Du yeoja-ui jib||Yoo-kyung||Kwak Ji-kyoon|
|1987||A Street Musician||거리의 악사||Geori-ui aksa||Seo-ha||Chung Ji-young|
|1986||Autumn After Love||가을을 남기고 간 사랑||Ga-eul-eul namgigo gan salang||Jung Jin-woo|
|1986||Wanderer in Winter||Gyeo-ul nageune||Da-hye||Kwak Ji-kyoon|
|1985||Graduation Journey||졸업 여행||Jol-eob-yeohaeng||Mi-seon||Yoo Ji-hoeng|
|1985||When Tears Run Dry||그대 눈물이 마를 때||Geudae nunmul-i maleul ttae||Choi Dong-joon|
|1985||City of Fast||바람난 도시||Balamnan dosi||Kim Yang-duk|
|1984||The Winter That Year Was Warm||그 해 겨울은 따뜻했네||Geu hae gyeo-ul-eun ttatteushaessne||Oh-mok / Soo-in||Bae Chang-ho|
|1984||The Broken Night||밤이 무너질 때||Bam-i muneojil ttae||Go Yeong-nam|
|1984||Whale Hunting||고래사냥||Goraesanyang||Chun-ja||Bae Chang-ho|
|1984||Women Wet Men Like Rain||Yeojaneun bicheoreom namjareul jeoksinda||Lee Hyeok-su|
|1984||Sleeping Out||외박||Woebak||Go Yeong-nam|
|1983||Strange Relationship||이상한 관계||I-sanghan gwangye||Lee Doo-yong|
|1982||I Loved||내가 사랑했다||Naega salanghaessda||Go Yeong-nam|
|1982||Wild Horse||야생마||Yasaengma||Lucia||Yoo Dong-hun|
|1981||Is There a Girl Like Her?||이런 여자 없나요||Ileon yeoja eobsna-yo||Yun Su-jin||Park Chul-soo|
|1981||With Passion and Heat||가슴깊게 화끈하게||Gaseumgipge hwakkeunhage||Doh Do-hae||Kim Su-hyeong|
|1981||An Embrace in the Dark Night||이 깊은 밤의 포옹||I gip-eun bam-ui po-ong||Song Yeong-su|
|1980||Flame Bird||불새||Bulsae||Eun-young||Lee Gyeong-tae|
(aka An Innocent College Student)
|모모는 철부지||Momoneun cheolbuji||Mal-ja||Kim Eung-chun|
|Year||English title||Korean title||Romanization||Role||Network|
|2018||Let Me Introduce Her||그녀로 말할 것 같으면||Geunyeoro Malhal Geot Gateumyun||Min Ja-young||SBS|
|Wok of Love||기름진 멜로||Gireumjin Mello||Jin Jung-hye, Kim Su-nyeo||SBS|
|2017||Money Flower||돈꽃||Donkkot||Jung Mal-ran||MBC|
|Temperature of Love||사랑의 온도||Sarangui Ondo||Yoo Yeong-mi||SBS|
|2016||Don't Dare to Dream||질투의 화신||Jiltuui Hwasin||Kye Sung-sook||SBS|
|2014||Rosy Lovers||장미빛 연인들||Jangmibit Yeonindeul||Jung Shi-nae||MBC|
|Blade Man||아이언맨||Aieonmaen||Madam Yoon||KBS2|
|2013||Shining Romance||빛나는 로맨스||Bitnaneun Romanseu||Jung Soon-ok||MBC|
|Miss Korea||미스코리아||Miseu Koria||Ma Ae-ri||MBC|
|You Are the Best!||최고다 이순신||Choegoda Yi Sun-sin||Song Mi-ryung/Kim Kyung-sook||KBS2|
|2012||Can We Get Married?||우리가 결혼할 수 있을까||Wooriga Kyeolhonhal Soo Isseulkka||Deul-ja||jTBC|
|Love Rain||사랑비||Sarangbi||Kim Yoon-hee (2012)||KBS2|
|2011||A Thousand Days' Promise||천일의 약속||Cheonileui Yaksook||Oh Hyun-ah||SBS|
|2010||Smile, Mom||웃어요, 엄마||Useoyo, Eomma||Jo Bok-hee||SBS|
|Cinderella's Sister||신데렐라 언니||Sinderella Eonni||Song Kang-sook||KBS2|
|2009||Ja Myung Go||자명고||Jamyeonggo||Wang Ja-shil||SBS|
|East of Eden||에덴의 동쪽||Edeonui Dongjjok||Yang Choon-hee||MBC|
|2006||Great Inheritance||위대한 유산||Widaehan Yusan||Go Ah-ra||KBS2|
|2005||Love and Sympathy||사랑공감||Sarang Gongkam||Kang Hee-soo||SBS|
|2002||Solitude||고독||Go Dok||Jo Kyung-min||KBS2|
|1999||You Don't Know My Mind||남의 속도 모르고||Namui Sokdo Moreugo||Jeon Nam-ja||MBC|
|1994||도깨비가 간다||Min Kang-ji||SBS|
|1993||How's Your Husband?||댁의 남편은 어떠십니까?||Daekui Nampyeoneun Eotteosipnikka||Ahn Jung-sook||SBS|
|1992||Women's Room||여자의 방||Na Kyung-sun||MBC|
|1991||Humble Men||고개숙인 남자||Baek Jung-ran||MBC|
|1985||That's Right, You Bet||아무렴 그렇지, 그렇고 말고||Ok-som||MBC|
|500 Years of Joseon -
The Ume Tree in the Midst of the Snow
|조선왕조 오백년 -
|Joseon Wangjo Ohbaek Nyeon -
|1983||Sunflower in Winter||겨울 해바라기||MBC|
|저 별은 나의 별||MBC|
|1982||Annals of Renunciation - Yi Yong-ik||거부실록 - 이용익||MBC|
|Women's History - Hwang Jin-yi||여인열전 - 황진이||Hwang Jini||MBC|
|1981||Women's History - Jang Hui-bin||여인열전 - 장희빈||Jang Hui-bin||MBC|
|안녕하세요||second daughter-in-law Eun-hee||MBC|
|Mapo Harbor||마포나루||Mapo Naru||TBC|
|Year||English title||Korean title||Romanization||Role||Network|
|2013||Miracle Korea||미라클 코리아||Host||jTBC|
|2011-2012||Lee Mi-sook's Bad Scene||이미숙의 배드신||Host||Story On|
|2011||Miracle Audition||기적의 오디션||Judge||SBS|
|2017||Guesthouse Daughters||Permanent Cast (Mom)||KBS|
|Year||English title||Korean title||Romanization||Notes|
|2003||Lee Mi-sook's DIARY: Dreaming of Deviation||이미숙의 DIARY 일탈을 꿈꾸며||with CD|
|2017||MBC Drama Awards||Top Excellence Award, Actress in a Weekend Drama||Money Flower|
|2014||MBC Drama Awards||Golden Acting Award, Actress||Miss Korea, Shining Romance, Rosy Lovers|
|2013||KBS Drama Awards||Excellence Award, Actress in a Serial Drama||You're the Best, Lee Soon-shin|
|2011||SBS Drama Awards||Special Award, Actress in a Special Planning Drama||A Thousand Days' Promise|
|2008||MBC Drama Awards||Top Excellence Award, Actress||East of Eden|
|2003||23rd Korean Association of Film Critics Awards||Best Actress||Untold Scandal|
|2001||37th Baeksang Arts Awards||Most Popular Actress, Film category||The Legend of Gingko|
|1999||7th Chunsa Film Art Awards||Best Actress||An Affair|
|19th Korean Association of Film Critics Awards||Best Actress||An Affair|
|1998||34th Baeksang Arts Awards||Most Popular Actres, TV category||Snail|
|1993||SBS Drama Awards||Grand Prize (Daesang)||How's Your Husband?|
|1987||32nd Asia Pacific Film Festival||Best Actress||Love Triangle|
|26h Grand Bell Awards||Special Jury Award||Love Triangle|
|1986||31st Asia Pacific Film Festival||Best Actress||Mulberry|
|6th Korean Association of Film Critics Awards||Best Actress||Mulberry|
|1984||4th Korean Association of Film Critics Awards||Best Actress||The Winter That Year Was Warm|
|23rd Grand Bell Awards||Best Actress||The Winter That Year Was Warm|
|21st Baeksang Arts Awards||Best Actress||The Winter That Year Was Warm|
|1982||MBC Drama Awards||Grand Prize (Daesang)||Jang Hui-bin|
|1980||17th Baeksang Arts Awards||Best New Actress||Flame Bird|
|1979||TBC Drama Awards||Best Newcomer||Mapo Harbor|
|1978||3rd Miss Lotte Pageant||Popularity Award|
- "Lee Mi-Suk (이미숙)". Korea Tourism Organization. Retrieved 2012-12-19.
- "Actors and Actresses of Korean Cinema: Lee Mi-sook". Koreanfilm.org. Retrieved 2012-12-19.
- "Lee Mi-suk: Actors are More Susceptible to Shock". KBS Global. 25 February 2005. Retrieved 2012-12-19.
- Lee, Hyo-won (17 January 2008). "Hellcats Is Charmingly Off-Tune". The Korea Times. Retrieved 2012-12-19.
- Yang, Sung-jin (8 January 2008). "Hellcats rejects men, holds girl-only party". The Korea Herald. Retrieved 2012-12-19.
- Lee, Ji-hye (23 November 2009). "Actresses is a miracle achieved, says Koh (Part 1)". 10Asia. Retrieved 2012-12-19.
- Lee, Ji-hye (23 November 2009). "Actresses is a miracle achieved, says Koh (Part 2)". 10Asia. Retrieved 2012-12-19.
- Lee, Hyo-won (17 November 2009). "Actresses to Present Off-Screen Personas Onscreen". The Korea Times. Retrieved 2012-12-19.
- Shin, Hae-in (1 December 2009). "(Movie Review) Fact and fiction merge as South Korea's leading ladies come together". Yonhap. Retrieved 2012-11-20.
- 이미숙, 50대 나이에 란제리 브랜드 론칭! "관능미 철철~". enews24 (in Korean). 28 November 2011. Archived from the original on 27 January 2013. Retrieved 2012-12-19.
- "Lee Mi-sook launches lingerie brand at age 50!". Hancinema. 27 November 2011. Retrieved 2012-12-19.
- "Fashion Brands Put Their Money on Middle-Aged Women". The Chosun Ilbo. 19 February 2010. Retrieved 2012-12-19.
- "LOVE STORY 이들의 열애를 훔쳐 보는 당신의 심장마저 빠르게 뛰리라". Elle Korea (in Korean). 26 August 2010. Archived from the original on 17 October 2014. Retrieved 2012-12-19.
- Jin, Yeong-ju (19 March 2010). "Veteran Actress to Reveal Never-Shown Side in Cinderella's Stepsister". KBS Global. Retrieved 2012-12-19.
- Choi, Ji-eun (12 May 2010). "On the set of TV series Sister of Cinderella". 10Asia. Retrieved 2012-12-19.
- Ho, Stewart (21 March 2012). "New Still Cuts of Love Rain Reveals the Adult Version of Yoona's Yoon Hee Character". enewsWorld. Retrieved 2012-12-19.
- Hong, Lucia (11 May 2012). "Jang Keun-suk, Yoona's TV series sold to 12 countries". 10Asia. Retrieved 2012-12-19.
- Lee, In-kyung (27 March 2012). "Why Love Rain Failed to Relate to Its Viewers". enewsWorld. Retrieved 2012-12-19.
- Lee, Kyung-nam (8 February 2012). "Park Ji Yoon on Her Bumpy Career with JYPE". enewsWorld. Retrieved 2012-12-19.
- "Lee Mi-sook sued by former agency". Korea JoongAng Daily. 17 February 2012. Archived from the original on 27 January 2013. Retrieved 2012-12-19.
- Sunwoo, Carla (24 May 2012). "Actress Lee Mi-sook in court again". Korea JoongAng Daily. Archived from the original on 26 July 2012. Retrieved 2012-12-19.
- Sunwoo, Carla (30 October 2012). "Lee Mi-sook's boy-toy letter on MBC". Korea JoongAng Daily. Archived from the original on 12 November 2012. Retrieved 2012-12-19.
- Choi, Eun-hwa (10 July 2012). "Lee Mi Sook Appears at Police Agency as Accuser in Defamation Case". enewsWorld. Retrieved 2012-12-19.
- Ahn, Joo-hee (22 February 2013). "Veteran actress loses appeals trial". Korea JoongAng Daily. Archived from the original on 2 March 2013. Retrieved 2013-02-23.
- Im, Woo-jung (6 August 2013). "Lee Mi-sook off to new start with Sidus HQ". The Korea Herald. Retrieved 2013-08-07.
- Lee, Sun-min (7 August 2013). "Lee Mi-sook joins new agency". Korea JoongAng Daily. Retrieved 2013-08-07.
- "Actress Lee Mi-sook Splits from Surgeon Husband". The Chosun Ilbo. 20 March 2007. Retrieved 2012-12-19.
- "Lee Mi-sook". Korean Movie Database. Retrieved 2010-02-09.
- "[공식]이미숙 '그녀로 말할 것 같으면' 확정…남상미 잡는 재벌가 시어머니". Sports Chosun (in Korean). June 14, 2018.
- "이미숙, SBS '가름진 멜로' 출연 확정..장혁과 재회(공식)" (in Korean). March 26, 2018.