Tiny Toon Adventures: Defenders of the Universe
|Tiny Toon Adventures: Defenders of the Universe|
Planned PlayStation 2 cover
|Platform(s)||PlayStation 2, GameCube|
Tiny Toon Adventures: Defenders of the Universe is a cancelled and unpublished 2002 fighting game. Based on the Tiny Toon Adventures franchise, it was initially scheduled for release in mid-2002, but was eventually cancelled for unknown reasons. It was developed by Treasure and it was originally slated for the PlayStation 2. Nintendo Power has listed this game in its publication, suggesting that there was also going to be a GameCube version.
The surviving voice actors from the TV series reprised their roles as their characters for this game, with Charlie Adler returning as the voice of Buster and Billy West replacing the late Don Messick as the voice of Hamton.
Gameplay and premise
The plot Defenders of the Universe centers on Montana Max taking over the planet Gold Star. Natives of the planet, the Bullions, escape and asks Buster Bunny, Babs Bunny, Plucky Duck, and Hamton Pig for help.
Development and cancellation
Originally titled Tiny Toon Adventures: Defenders of the Looniverse, Defenders of the Universe was first announced in 2001 with a planned spring 2002 release. It was later expected for release by the summer that same year.
In 2004, Douglas C. Perry for IGN suggested that the game had always been intended for release, mentioning that it was "still officially slated to come out sometime (not necessarily in 2004)". However, years later, nothing new has been mentioned about the game. But considering the fact that support for the PlayStation 2 and GameCube has been discontinued, the game's resurrection and release are unlikely. Before its cancellation, the game was given an ESRB rating and was shown on retail listings.
Kurt Kalata from Hardcore Gaming 101 theorized that the game was planned to be the spiritual successor to Treasure's 1999 Japanese-exclusive Rakugaki Showtime, noting its similarities in gameplay and mechanics.
- Scott, Dean (June 3, 2002). "Tiny Toons: Defenders of the Universe". Computer and Video Games. Future plc. Archived from the original on September 8, 2007.
- Smith, David; Perry, Doug (May 13, 2001). "Tiny Toons Adventures: Defenders of the Looniverse". IGN. Ziff Davis. Retrieved September 24, 2017.
- IGN Staff (October 1, 2001). "New Info on Tiny Toons Adventures: Defenders of the Looniverse". IGN. Ziff Davis. Retrieved September 24, 2017.
- Varanini, Giancarlo (June 20, 2002). "First look: Defenders of the Universe". GameSpot. CBS Interactive. Retrieved September 24, 2017.
- Perry, Douglass C. (February 6, 2004). "Missing in Action: The Lost Games of the PlayStation 2, Part I". IGN. Ziff Davis. p. 3. Retrieved September 24, 2017.
- Kalata, Kurt (2008). "Rakugaki Showtime". Hardcore Gaming 101. Retrieved September 24, 2017.