Tom Goodwin (New Jersey politician)
Thomas "Tom" Goodwin (born c. 1951) is an American Republican Party politician and financial planner who was selected on March 11, 2010 to represent the 14th legislative district in the New Jersey Senate, after the resignation of Bill Baroni left a vacancy. He was sworn in on March 15, 2010 and sought re-election in a special June primary and November general election. He was the most junior senator in New Jersey Senate as of March 15, 2010 until November 2010, when he was defeated by Assemblywoman Linda R. Greenstein.
Early life and career
Goodwin was born in Trenton, New Jersey and moved to Hamilton Township when he was 8 years old. He attended township public schools and graduated from Hamilton High School West. He earned an associate degree from Mercer County Community College, and received designations as Chartered Life Underwriter and Chartered Financial Consultant from The American College in Bryn Mawr, Pennsylvania.
Hamilton Township Council
In 2005, Goodwin was elected to the Hamilton Township Council, defeating the Democratic candidate Wayne DeAngelo. He ran against DeAngelo and fellow Democrat Linda R. Greenstein in 2007 for the State Assembly from the 14th legislative district but lost by fewer than 800 votes. He successfully defended his seat on the Hamilton Council in 2009 and was named Council President.
On February 19, 2010, Governor Chris Christie announced that he was appointing State Senator Bill Baroni to the position of Deputy Executive Director of the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey. Goodwin announced on March 1 that he would seek to fill the vacancy left by Baroni's resignation. At a March 11 special election convention held by the Republican committees of Mercer and Middlesex counties, Goodwin defeated former Assemblywoman Barbara Wright by a vote of 75-31. He was sworn in on March 15.
- "Tom Goodwin". PolitickerNJ. 2007-08-06. Retrieved 2010-03-14.
- "Tom Goodwin". Goodwin, Kenny, Pone. Retrieved 2010-03-14.
- "3 Hamilton Republican councilmen to seek re-election". The Times (Trenton). 2008-12-15. Retrieved 2010-03-14.
- "Hamilton Council president pursues 14th District seat". The Times (Trenton). 2010-03-02. Retrieved 2010-03-14.
- "Hamilton councilman wins N.J. Senate seat vacated by Bill Baroni". The Star-Ledger. 2010-03-12. Retrieved 2010-03-14.
- "Hamilton's Goodwin sworn-in as NJ senator". The Trentonian. 2010-03-15. Retrieved 2010-03-15.
|New Jersey Senate|
|New Jersey State Senator - District 14
March 15, 2010 - November 22, 2010
Linda R. Greenstein