Tom Noddy is the stage name of an American entertainer whose television performances of Bubble Magic in the early 1980s led to a book deal and Bubble Festivals at science centers all across America. In the early 1980s Noddy first performed his original demonstration of skills with soap bubbles on American television's That's Incredible! and Johnny Carson's Tonight Show in 1983 and then the UK's Paul Daniels Magic Show, France's Incroyable Mais Vrai, Germany's Die verflixte Sieben with Rudi Carrell, Ireland's Pat Kenny Chat Show, Australia's Mike Walsh Show, Netherlands' Der Bananasplit Show, Japan's Chikyū Donburi, Norway's Scantertainment and several others.
In 1980, Noddy's performance was featured as a segment on an American television program known as On The Road With Charles Karault.
Following the attention that this exposure brought to him, Noddy worked with San Francisco's Exploratorium to develop a Bubble Festival in 1983 that featured Noddy's performance and that of another bubble performer whom Noddy encountered in his travels. With octogenarian Eiffel G. Plasterer performing his Bubbles Concerto and Exploratorium exhibits highlighting the science of soap films and allowing the public to experiment with soap bubbles for themselves, the event attracted an estimated 15,000 people over a weekend in 1983.
These appearances came after more than a decade of developing his skill with soap bubbles and inventing the tricks featured in his performances. In 1988, with Philadelphia's Running Press, Noddy's how-to book: Tom Noddy's Bubble Magic was published in the US and helped to inspired several other performers to turn their attention to soap bubbles.
Tom Noddy continues to bring his performance and science education to science centers in the US, Europe and other parts of the world (Abu Dhabi in November, 2011). In August 2011, he featured in the BBC-TV programme The Code, presented by mathematician Marcus du Sautoy, where he demonstrated the ability of bubbles to form minimal surface structures.
- "Tom Noddy, Tom Noddy's Bubble magic, Bubbles, Bubble Magic". www.tomnoddy.com. Retrieved 2017-06-17.
- "On The Road With Charles Kuralt Tom Noddy The Bubble Man". World News. Retrieved 2017-06-17.
- Curtis, 2002-2012 Andrew Maltsev, 2012-2013 Derek J. "Tom Noddy's bubble magic | ISBNdb.com - Book Info". isbndb.com. Retrieved 2017-06-17.
- dead1965 (2007-02-28), Tom Noddy - Bubbleman, retrieved 2017-06-17
- firstname.lastname@example.org, BRAINPOOL Artist & Content Services GmbH -. "Seifenblasen mit Tom Noddy". TV total (in German). Retrieved 2017-06-17.
- "The Code, BBC Two, episode two, preview". Telegraph.co.uk. Retrieved 2017-06-17.