Tony Brown (rugby league)
|Full name||Anthony J Brown|
|Born||1936 (age 79–80)
|Height||5 ft 8 in (173 cm)|
|Weight||12 st 0 lb (76 kg; 168 lb)|
|1958–62||New South Wales||9||2||0||0||6|
Tony Brown (born 1936), is an Australian former professional rugby league footballer of the 1950s and 1960s. An Australian international and New South Wales interstate representative five-eighth, and later lock forward, he played club football in Sydney's NSWRFL Premiership, captaining Newtown and later Penrith in their inaugural season.
While playing in Sydney's NSWRFL Premiership for the Newtown club, Brown gained representative selection in the City New South Wales team. In 1958 he was selected to make his début for the Australian national team, becoming Kangaroo No. 335. He was selected for the first two tests against Great Britain but missed the decider due to injury. The following year he played three tests against New Zealand and was selected for the Australian national team to go on the 1959–60 Kangaroo tour, playing at five-eighth in the first test against France.
Having been released by Newtown in 1964, Brown was signed by second division club Penrith, who later gained entry into the first division premiership for the 1967 NSWRFL season. He captained Penrith in the opening rounds of their inaugural season before a leg injury ended his season.
For the Newtown Jets' centenary celebrations the club named its 'Team of the Century (1908-2008)' which included Brown as a five-eighth.
- "1960 World Cup Match". i.ebayimg.com. ebay. Retrieved 17 September 2016.
- rugbyleagueproject.org. "Tony Brown". Rugby League Project. Shawn Dollin, Andrew Ferguson and Bill Bates. Retrieved 16 June 2012.
- nrlstats.com. "Tony Brown". NRL Stats. Sports Data. Retrieved 16 June 2012.
- yesterdayshero.com.au. "Player Profile - Tony Brown". Yesterday's Hero. SmartPack International. Retrieved 16 June 2012.
- "Tony Brown". Rugby League Tables - Scorers. stats.rleague.com. Retrieved 16 June 2012.
- Australian Rugby League. "Australian Players Register" (PDF). Australian Rugby League - Annual Report 2005. secure.ausport.gov.au. Retrieved 16 June 2012.
- "Team of the Century". newtownjets.com. Newtown Jets. Retrieved 16 June 2012.