Tower Cancer Research Foundation
|Founded||1996, Beverly Hills, California, USA|
|Headquarters||Beverly Hills, California, United States of America|
|Board of Directors
Abby Levy, Chairman
|Slogan||Hope, Healing and Humanity|
Tower Cancer Research Foundation (TCRF) is a 501(c)3 non-profit organization dedicated to clinical research, patient support and community education. It was established in 1996 in Beverly Hills, California.
Focused mainly on performing clinical trials for the development of new and more effective treatments of cancer and blood disorders, TCRF has conducted over 400 clinical trials since its inception in 1996 and has awarded $1.2 million in funds in scientific laboratory research grants to physicians. In addition to its clinical research program, TCRF provides patient support services and programs.
Clinical trial research - the Frank E. Rosenfelt Drug Development Program
TCRF's research program, the Frank E. Rosenfelt Drug Development Program, is named for the entertainment attorney Frank Rosenfelt, whose family had a commitment to cancer research and made significant philanthropic contributions to TCRF to establish and continue its work.
Clinical research publications
TCRF has had its clinical research acknowledged in several major medical journals including , Blood, Clinical Cancer Research, Journal of Immunotherapy, Interact Cardiovasc Thoracic Surgery, Genetics in Medicine, Lancet, Haematologica, Journal of Clinical Oncology, Clinical Genetics, and Seminars in Hematology.
Fellowship grant awards
In 2006, TCRF started its Fellowship Grant Award Program to fund basic science research in the fields of hematology and oncology. Since then, it has awarded $1.2 million in research grants to 22 physician scientists. Two of these grants have been awarded in memory of Ronnie Lippin, a music and public relations executive who died of breast cancer in 2006, through the Ronnie Lippin Cancer Outreach Program at TCRF.
Patient support programs
TCRF provides patient support and offers a wide range of support programs for those dealing with a cancer diagnosis or remission, including a mentoring program and the Ronnie Lippin Cancer Outreach Program, which provides the public with information about cancer and how to deal with significant issues relating to the disease.
TCRF has a quarterly publication aimed at educating the lay public, physicians, and oncologists with information on cancer and cancer topics. TCRF also provides educational materials for general physicians and oncologists on cancer topics through a bi-monthyl Newsletter oriented for medical doctors on topics in hematology and oncology.
TCRF receives income from pharmaceutical sponsors to conduct clinical trials, and organizes annual fundraisers.
- Tower Cancer Research Foundation Website 2010
- NEJM, 2010, 362:1396–1406 A Randomized Study of Alglucosidase Alfa in Late-Onset Pompe's Disease
- Suberoylanilide hydroxamic acid (SAHA; vorinostat) suppresses translation of cyclin D1 in mantle cell lymphoma cells, Blood, 1 October 2007, Vol. 110, No. 7, pp. 2667–2673 ; Gaucher disease and cancer incidence: a study from the Gaucher Registry, Blood, 15 June 2005, Vol. 105, No. 12, pp. 4569–4572.
- A Phase Ib Study of AMG 102 in Combination with Bevacizumab or Motesanib in Patients with Advanced Solid Tumors- Clinical Cancer Research May 2010 16; 2677 ; LB-259. A Pilot Study Utilizing Molecular Profiling of Patients' Tumors to Find Potential Targets and Select Treatments for Refractory Cancers - AACR 2009; Abstract LB-259.
- A Phase 2 Trial of Immunotherapy With Mitumprotimut-T (Id-KLH) and GM-CSF Following Rituximab in Follicular B-cell Lymphoma - Journal of Immunotherapy Feb/Mar 2010, Vol 33, Issue 2, 178-184
- Heart transplantation using bivalirudin as anticoagulant. - Interact Cardiovasc Thoracic Surgery 2010 Jan;10(1):150-1
- Multiple Myeloma and Gaucher Genes - Genetics in Medicine February 2009 - Volume 11 - Issue 2 - p 134
- Efficacy of romiplostim in patients with chronic immune thrombocytopenic purpura: a double-blind randomised controlled trial - Lancet 2 February 2008;371(9610):362-4.
- Molecular allelokaryotyping of T-cell prolymphocytic leukemia cells with high density single nucleotide polymorphism arrays identifies novel common genomic lesions and acquired uniparental disomy - Haematologica, Vol 94, Issue 4, 518-527 doi:10.3324/haematol.2008.001347
- AMG 102, an HGF/SF antagonist, in combination with anti-angiogenesis targeted therapies in adult patients with advanced solid tumors - Journal of Clinical Oncology 26: 2008 (May 20 suppl; abstr 3570) ; Initial results of a first-in-man phase I study of EPC2407, a novel small molecule microtubule inhibitor anticancer agent with tumor vascular endothelial disrupting activity - Journal of Clinical Oncology 26: 2008 (May 20 suppl; abstr 2531) ; Phase II trial of vatalinib in patients with advanced or metastatic pancreatic adenocarcinoma who failed gemcitabine therapy - Journal of Clinical Oncology 26: 2008 (May 20 suppl; abstr 4615) ; Phase II study of the efficacy and safety of intravenous (IV) AVE0005 (VEGF Trap) given every 2 weeks in patients (Pts) with platinum- and erlotinib- resistant adenocarcinoma of the lung (NSCLA) - Journal of Clinical Oncology, 2007 ASCO Annual Meeting Proceedings Part I. Vol 25, No. 18S (June 20 Supplement), 2007: 7627 ; Phase II trial of idiotype vaccination in previously treated patients with indolent non-Hodgkin's lymphoma resulting in durable clinical responses - Journal of Clinical Oncology. 1 July 2006;24(19):3107-12. Epub 5 June 2006. ; Bortezomib, bendamustine, and rituximab in patients (pts) with relapsed (rel) or refractory (ref) follicular lymphoma (FL): Dose-finding results of the VERTICAL study - ASCO 2009 ; Abstract 8550 ; Phase II results of Study PX-171-007: A phase Ib/II study of carfilzomib (CFZ), a selective proteasome inhibitor, in patients with selected advanced metastatic solid tumors - ASCO 2009; Abstract 3515 ; Pharmacokinetic and pharmacodynamic results of a 4-hr IV administration phase I study with EPC2407, a novel vascular disrupting agent -ASCO 2009; Abstract 3569 ; Bendamustine/rituximab in relapsed or refractory diffuse large B-cell lymphoma - ASCO 2010; Abstract 8041 ; A phase 2, open-label study of ramucirumab (IMC-1121B), an IgG1 fully human monoclonal antibody (Mab) targeting VEGFR-2, in combination with paclitaxel and carboplatin as first-line therapy in patients (pts) with stage IIIb/IV non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC). - ASCO 2010; Abstract 7588 ; A phase I pharmacodynamic and pharmacokinetic study of a ras inhibitor, PRLX 93936 in patients with advanced solid tumors - ASCO 2010; Abstract 13042 ; A phase 2, single-arm, open-label study of pralatrexate in patients with aggressive relapsed or refractory b-cell non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma (NHL): Study PDX-015 -ASCO 2010; Abstract E18568 ; ENGAGE-501: phase 2 study investigating the role of epigenetic therapy with entinostat (SNDX-275) in relapsed and refractory Hodgkin’s lymphoma (HL)- ASCO 2010; Abstract TPS298 ; Phase I study of danusertib (D) in combination with bevacizumab (B) in solid tumors. - ASCO 2010; Abstract 3066 ; Updated results of a phase Ib/II study of carfilzomib (CFZ) in patients (Pts) with relapsed malignancies - ASCO 2010; Abstract 8147;
- Improvement of bone disease by imiglucerase (Cerezyme) therapy in patients with skeletal manifestations of type 1 Gaucher disease: results of a 48-month longitudinal cohort study - Clinical Genetics, Volume 73, Number 5, May 2008 , pp. 430–440(11)
- Gaucher disease type 1: Revised recommendations on evaluations and monitoring for adult patients - Seminars in Hematology October 2004 Vol 41, Suppl 5, 15-22
- Billboard Magazine, May 31, 2007 page 74