Town of Northam
|Town of Northam
Location in Western Australia
|Population||6,009 (2001 census)|
|• Density||231/km2 (599/sq mi)|
|Area||26 km2 (10.0 sq mi)|
The Town of Northam was a local government area of Western Australia for the town of Northam in the Wheatbelt region of Western Australia, 97 kilometres (60 mi) north-east of the capital, Perth along Great Eastern Highway. The Town had a population of 6,009 as of the 2006 census.
In January 2007, the Department of Local Government and Regional Development recommended the council merge with the surrounding Shire of Northam to become a single entity. Following the failure of a referendum on 28 April 2007 within the Shire of Northam to stop the move, the amalgamation proceeded on 1 July 2007.
On 4 November 1879, the Northam Municipality was constituted to govern the affairs of the town of Northam. The town expanded beyond the municipal boundaries, which were set at about 5 km2 (1.9 sq mi), and on 6 September 1957, the municipal boundaries were adjusted to bring all of Northam under it.
On 1 July 1961, the Municipality became a Town under the Local Government Act 1860.
In September 2006, the Town received a report into the possibility of merging with the Shire of Northam, and on 31 October 2006, the Local Government Advisory Board received a proposal to that effect from both councils. Public meetings in December 2006 announced that the new council would be known as the Shire of Northam, and would come into existence on 1 July 2007, initially operated by a board of commissioners (two from each entity plus an independent chair).
The town had 9 councillors plus an elected mayor, and no wards.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (25 October 2007). "Northam (T) (Local Government Area)". 2006 Census QuickStats. Retrieved 2007-08-27.
- WA Electoral Commission, Municipality Boundary Amendments Register (release 2.0), 31 May 2003.
- Kelly LG Services (September 2006). "Shire and Town of Northam Merger Study Report" (PDF). Retrieved 2006-11-04.[dead link] - commissioned by Department of Local Government and Regional Development.
- Local Government Advisory Board (November 2006). "Proposal to Amalgamate the Shire of Northam and the Town of Northam - Information Paper" (PDF). Retrieved 2006-11-15.[dead link]
- Local Government Advisory Board (March 2007). "Proposal to Amalgamate the Shire of Northam and the Town of Northam". Retrieved 2007-04-21.
- "Govt green lights Northam town-shire merger". ABC Online. 6 February 2007. Retrieved 2007-05-01.