Transfer of Power
|July 1, 1999|
|Media type||Print (hardback and paperback)|
|Preceded by||Term Limits|
|Followed by||The Third Option|
Transfer of Power is Vince Flynn's second published book in 1999 and is where the reader meets Mitch Rapp, the CIA's super agent. The book was released on July 1, 1999 by Pocket Books. It reached number 13 in the New York Times paperback bestsellers chart.
The reader first meets Rapp while he is doing a covert operation in Iran and he discovers a possible terrorist attack planned for the nation's capital to happen in the near future. Meanwhile, in Washington, D.C., Anna Rielly is starting her first day as a White House correspondent for NBC. It also so happens to be the day where the terrorist, using a secret entrance, takes over the White House and holds it hostage. The president, who barely escaped the hostage situation remains trapped in the unfinished bomb shelter. With the vice president using this opportunity as commander in chief to glorify his political career being lenient towards the terrorist demands, Rapp must find a way to fight the terrorists from the inside of the White House. It is here where he saves Anna Rielly from being raped by one of the terrorists and their relationship, which will be seen throughout the later books, begins.
Several Navy SEALs sneak into the White House, eliminate the terrorists, and save the hostages and the president. The leader of the terrorist group manages to escape the White House while detonating his strategically placed explosives. He is later found in South America only to be killed by Rapp.
The Houston Chronicle said "Flynn keeps the action moving". Brandywine Books found it entertaining but lacking as great literature ("In terms of storytelling, his performance is flawless... As a piece of prose writing, the book is less successful."). Publishers Weekly praised Flynn for its "spicy broth of brutal terrorists, heroic commandos and ... secret agent hijinks".
- "PAPERBACK BEST SELLERS". New York Times. June 25, 2000.
- Scanlan, Dan (July 26, 1999). "`Transfer of Power' chilling read Terrorist controls Oval Office.". Florida Times Union.
- Vince Flynn. "Vince Flynn – Transfer of Power (Mitch Rapp #3) Summary". Vinceflynn.com. Retrieved 2012-09-19.
- Barlow, Jim (July 18, 1999). "Vince Flynn puts terrorists in White House". Houston Chronicle.
- Walker, Lars (January 10, 2012). "Transfer of Power, by Vince Flynn". Brandywine Books. Retrieved 21 September 2012.
- "Fiction Review: Transfer of Power". Publishers Weekly. June 28, 1999. Retrieved 21 September 2012.