|Headquarters||Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic|
|Products||Broadband Internet services, landline, wireless telecommunication services, hosting, and digital cable.|
Tricom, S.A., colloquially known as Tricom, is the second largest landline service provider in the Dominican Republic. It owns and operates a major HDTV Cable TV service, Telecable de Tricom, formerly known as "Telecable Nacional". Its ISP branch offers residential bandwidth with speeds up to 100 Mbit/s and is also a national mobile network operator.
In 1988, Zona Franca de San Isidro spawned San Isidro Teleport, which was later renamed Tricom. In 1990, the company had reached an agreement with the Dominican Republic to provide communications services nationwide.
On May 20, 1992, the company began to implement "Long Distance Call Centers", entering the business of the international long distance services.
In 1993, Tricom sold Motorola a 40% stake in the company with a goal of improving their local and international infrastructure.
On November 17, 1994, Tricom and CODETEL connected their telephone exchanges, allowing a massive installation of residential lines. Following is the implementation of pagers, paging services, and mobile products. In 1995 the first long distance prepaid card, "Efectiva", was made public.
In 1996, Tricom implemented Motorola's Digital Telephone services which allowed installation of residential and business lines in just 48 hours. Amigo, the country's first prepaid wireless provider, is launched in 1997. Meanwhile, TRICOM USA is created to offer long distance services to the Hispanic community in New York City.
In 1999, the company achieved 300,000 customers, becoming the leader in mobile communications in addition to servicing 68% of the country's landlines.
In 2004, the company was de-listed from the NYSE.
On June 5, 2012, Tricom announced their intent to begin a buildout of a Hybrid fibre-coaxial network across Bayahibe, Bonao, Casa de Campo, La Romana, La Vega, San Cristóbal, San Francisco de Macorís, San Pedro de Macorís, Santiago, and Santo Domingo.
On May 2, 2013, Tricom launched their LTE network for mobile phones, becoming the first Dominican provider to offer LTE for mobiles.
- "Tricom con nueva red de Fibra Óptica", Tricom (in Spanish), June 5, 2012, retrieved April 18, 2013
- "Tricom inicia proceso de implementación de una nueva red móvil 4G-LTE", Tricom (in Spanish), July 4, 2012, retrieved April 18, 2013
- "Telecable Tricom introduce nuevo servicio de Video On Demand", Tricom (in Spanish), March 13, 2013, retrieved April 18, 2013
- "TRICOM INTRODUCE LA EVOLUCION DEL INTERNET MOVIL 4G LTE", Tricom (in Spanish), March 18, 2013, retrieved April 18, 2013
- "TRICOM CON EL PRIMER SMARTPHONE 4G LTE DEL PAIS", Tricom (in Spanish), May 2, 2013, retrieved May 1, 2013